I feel like I'm not being the best parent,that I can be for my children

I love being a mom and I LOVE! my children,but here lately I've been yelling,snapping, and losing my cool very easy with them.I shouldn't be feeling uptight,we just moved to a nice house and new town.Hubby got new good paying job.I'm having trouble with my seven year old,
she not listening and the back talking.I've tryed everything:time out,no tv or games,write so
many times what she did wrong.I can't talk to her sometimes without yelling and then I take it out on the others.It's not her fault.My mom pushed me away as a child and I feel I'm doing the same.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's very hard to not do the same thing we grew up with. I was always yelled at as a child, was often made to feel as if I were not important. I do my very best to not be like that with my children and at times it is very hard. Try taking some "me" time, or just walk away if you feel like yelling. That's what I do sometimes. I also always tell my kids that I am sorry for yelling at them. You sound like a wonderful mom, don't be so hard on yourself!
    EmoButterfly37

Answer by EmoButterfly37 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I feel the same guilt almost everyday. i have a boy that just turned 8 and a 2 1/2 year old. i feel like i am ALWAYS on my oldest son and after I think "why can't i just have more patients and teach him in a positive way not to whine and backtalk, ect" the thing is you are human, and parenting can be difficult. sometimes it is worse when you get more stressed because you feel guilty....idk mama, i have been trying to stick to one punishment that he hates and i have been working really hard at not yelling at him and just saying you have had your one warning and now you are grounded from xbox for 30 min.....it's been working pretty well. i try to remember to pray everyday that God give me grace to deal with my children in the way that he would. somedays he helps me deal with it so much easier, but most days i still don't listen to him and i regret it!
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011