Anyone else live with their inlaws?? How is it working? Likes? Dislikes?

We live with my DH parents(6 months now) and they help us out just as much as we help them out. I want to move when our lease is up in October but it feels like a long time away. I would love to move out since we have had arguments and been cursed at and insulted by my FIL but since everyone is so "scared" of him my MIL and DH say nothing. UGH! I guess i would like ideas, suggestions, stories or someone to relate to in the same boat. Thanks in advance :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• We don't know but we did in the beginning. in some ways it was great. I had post partum depression and my FIL was really great-he raised DH. In other ways, not so much. He would distract my son when I was trying to feed him, he was always hinting that he needed a hair cut (and to shut him up I got DS a mohawk, lol). All in all it was just differing philosophies. It didn't really damage our relationship with him.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 8:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Uuugh we had to move in with DH's mother last feb and I was SO completly miserable! I guess she thought since we were living there she had every right in the world to tell me how to raise my daughter! She would tell me when to feed her, how much to give her, what actvities to do with her, when to take her outside and for how long, when to bathe her, when to put her to bed, the list goes on and on....it got to the point where I thought I was going to rip my freaking hair out!!!! I STILL don't like her but according to DH she is totally in love with me (She calls me EVERY SINGLE DAY!) and drives me out of my freaking mind! I was so happy when we moved out I could have passed out somewhere! LOL
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i am the inlaw ~ my sons wife is staying with us until he gets back from his deployment ~ she has been here sinse oct. 2010 and we have had no issues ~ she is treated no different then my other kids in the house ~
    BoundHearts

Answer by BoundHearts at 9:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's unfortunate your living situation is stressed, I am currently living with my in laws but they're more like my parents than my actual parents (I was 12 when my mom moved us into the house across the street from my in laws, my mom was never home so me and my siblings were always at my in laws). I get along great with them, we have arguments from time to time like most kids have with their folks but we always get over it. I almost don't want to move out - we're staying here until the end of the month which is when our house will be finished (an icestorm dropped a tree on the house and two rooms had to be completely re-built along with new windows and siding on one side of the house).
    Anonymous

• I lived with mine for about six months. My hubby had a job change to a different city (where they live)while we were trying to sell our house we lived with them (couldn't afford two house payments). At first it was great, and I can't complain really about the way they treated us, because wecouldn't have done it without them, but they did get on our cases a lot about little things that we do different, and we never had the privacy we wanted. We tried really hard to remeber WE were staying with THEM, and not the other way around. We made sure to refill things in the house that got used, detergent, toilet paper, and bought groceries every other time. We offered money to help with their bills (because of the added water electric etc.) it is very hard though for two families to live together since they are obviously going to be different, we eventually moved into our camper on the land we moved our house onto to get our own space!
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 12:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• We don't live with the however we a live on the same land. It's nuts at times and ok at times. Just depends on the issue.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't live with my in laws I Live with my Parent!!!! and I have a seven year old. It sucks !!!! But it's helping me until I move in June. so I guess, All the shit i put with is worth it Because they are Helping me out!
    MissG2014

Answer by MissG2014 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2011