Would you let your father in your house carrying a loaded gun?

My Dad carrys a loaded gun(there is no bullet in the chamber) he would have to cock it and turn the safty off in order to make it fire. I think it is fine, but my husband says he cannot bring a loaded gun in our house, that if we didnt have kids it would be fine but around the kids no way. He also has had training and taken classes about gun safty. Also he keeps it straped to his side inside his jacket, so if it went off the only thing it would shoot is his body. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't allow a loaded gun in my home either. I agree with your hubby.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt allow it in my house either. my husbands a big hunter and has a hang gun but i dont allow him to have any of them loaded in the house. simply becuz things can happen.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I agree with him
    Anonymous

• your house... your (and hubby's) rules.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I wouldn't have a problem with it. As you said, there is no round chambered, the safety is on, and he keeps the gun in a holster.
    BUT it is your husband's home too. Accidents can happen. Rounds can be left in the chamber and forgotton, safety's can be left off. Every experienced gun owner knows it can happen, every honest one knows it can happen to HIM - no matter how careful.
    Work it out with your husband. Decide what the house rules will be - for guns in the home, for what age it is OK for your children to go shooting with grandpa if he asks. Then talk to your dad. I bet he understands.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• As long as he had a licence and a licence for a concealed weapon. It wouldn't bother me for him to bring it in the house. But your husband has a right to his opinion. You to should agree upon this matter.

Answer by louise2 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would allow it...My dad is a retired police officer, so as a kid I knew all about guns..
    But your husband not wanting it will lead to a problem...you need to both agree hey or nay...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Well I wouldn't have a problem with it because I trust my dad and realize he would never do anything stupid with it. But then again some people do not like guns. No big deal. Maybe you can ask your dad to leave it at home or in his LOCKED vehicle when he comes inside your house! :) Just for sake or arguement with your hubby. :)
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 12:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• DUDE - where do you LIVE that he needs to bring a gun in your house? That's gotta be one bad neighborhood. Is he planning on getting jacked during the walk from his car to your door?

Look - you and hubby are a team and this is a team decision. Give a little/get a little. If it's a big deal to him, then I don't see the problem.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Nope...no loaded guns in the house. My FIL was a big time hunter and my BIL still is. Together they own over 25 guns...rifles, shotguns, handguns...they keep them locked in a gun safe and the ammo is stored in another safe. Always been a rule...no loaded guns in the house.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008