How do you deal with a 5 yr old who hurts everyone?

DevinSkye

Asked by DevinSkye at 8:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it's probably a cry for attention personally.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• He is slowly getting worse. He started with just kicking and then started biting again. Just now he knocked half my older son's adult tooth out with a hot wheels
    DevinSkye

Comment by DevinSkye (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would give the older one a free shot..... let him feel pain.
    Anonymous

• My brother was violent like this have him checked by the doctor and after counseling.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My Down Syndrome daughter started doing this being a teenager.The calmer I remain the better...
    Hers comes from being frustrated, just learning to talk and not coping so well with stress or items, and abrupt noises out of her control.
    It used to work for me to tell her that hurts me.It would get to her.She'd start crying...
    Now she gets sent to her room for time out...or is deprived of something...I am very calm even though she might have just slapped me-This took a long time to come to this point. (I am home schooling her. She is an only child.)
    I would highly recommend behavior counseling .The lady counselor that works with my daughter has me there at the same time. We do a type of play therapy...My daughter has come a long way in expressing herself properly and I have learned to hold back my anger and in a soft, but firm voice handle the situation better...She and both are growing. Our relationship more loving, calm.
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would talk to the pedi.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have him evaluated by an occupational therapist and a speech therapist. He might be expressing frustration and unable to verbalize it or he might be sensory-seeking.

This is not uncommon among sensory-sensitive kids.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 2:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would have him evaluated, it is one thing to push or hit sometimes at that age as kids sitll have a hard time expressing themselves, but if he is constantly being violent there might be something more serious going on.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• He might need an evaluation by a therapist.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You need to watch him like a hawk and every time he starts to do something awful, stop him. He needs to relearn how to behave.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011