Gettin rid of things!!!! Let's start with kids clothes.

For my four year old
She has
12 jeans
14 stretchy pants
22 long sleeve pull overs
19 long sleeve dresses
11 sleepers with feet
6 regular pajamas
5 heavy jackets
14 lightweight jackets
and so much more.

Most of these are gifts and hand me downs.

I do not know what to get rid of.

I have a keeping problem. I would like to get rid to make less clutter.
How do I begin.
It is upsetting to get rid of something she might wear.

How many outfits are enough?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I get a lot of hand me downs, and the first thing I do when I open a bag from my SILs is to weed out the stuff I hate. Some other kid whose mom likes it can have it. My daughter's turning 4 next week, and I recently realized that we probably don't need so many pants, since her potty training is now really over. Mine really hates jeans, so I only keep a few pairs. With coats, if they're all the same size and warmth level, I'd only keep two. Five sleepers with feet can get you through a week, no problem, so that's how many I'd feel the need to keep. 14 lightweight jackets? Three would probably do for us. Does your daughter obviously prefer some items? Her tastes can give you a good idea what you really need to keep.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My kids closets are like that b/c I shop at thrift stores a lot and have a ton.

I pack stuff I think they are gonna wear into one of those space saver bags that you suck the air out of.

They are wonderful! I do NOT get rid of stuff I think they will wear. period.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If you do laundry once a week, keep 10-12 complete outfits for each season. If you wash everyday you can keep less. Getting rid of all the extra clothes as such a relief to me. If you don't absolutely LOVE it, get rid of it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Keep the pants and jeans, for long sleeved dresses, I cant imagine having 19 long sleeved dresses? Most of dds are short sleeved, I dont see many long sleeved ones even in the stores. Anyhow, what does she wear most of? Keep all the favorites, then the 2nd favorites. I think you could get rid of a jacket or 2, and keep several lighter ones, that would match most of her clothes, or the ones that match the most. Pajamas, keep those also, you can never have too many. Tho if needed, get rid of the ones that are the smallest fitting.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I use to be like that too, but I realized that it was too stressful to keep all those clothes. I had to really look at what my kids actually wore and how much I swore they would wear and never did. So now if it isn't a favorite, it goes to a new home. Then I know it is being used and I don't feel bad about it going away.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have this exact same problem! I have kept almost everything and I just can't seem to get rid of their stuff. I don't know what to do with it. I want to keep some of it for when they are older, but most of it has to go. I don't want to just donate it because I feel like it's their stuff, but I have no idea how to go about selling it. And I'm not sure I'm ready to sell it anyway. So frustrating.... I'm not this way about my own stuff....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm in a de-cluttering mood this week and I still can't get rid of their stuff!!!!!! LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have my youngest trained to put things in the "give away" box when he out growns them. If it all fits let her keep it (unless it is drving you insane) but the minute it doesn't fit you have to pass it on to someone who will use it. Then it becomes a problem of not buying too much as you replace things they have outgrown.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I kept my Sons clothes (he's 4) expecting if I had another it would probably be a boy too. Well this baby is going to be a girl. So now I get rid of his clothing as soon as it no longer fits him. I reached my clutter limit & it feels great to clean out! I have gone through all our closets too & gave all the things we don't need to charity. You could also sell the really nice things on ebay for a little extra cash!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't get rid of anything she still fits into. Who knows when she'll need in the future?
    Hlthy1

Answer by Hlthy1 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011