Can I pump my breast after not pumping for three years?

I was given a steroid injection while pregant with my daughter to boost her lungs because I had her prematurely. I was told that I cannot breastfeed after this because it was unsafe for my baby. The doctors told me I would have to "freeze" the milk by acebandaging with ice until lactation stopped. This was three years ago and now my breast are way larger than they had ever been before. I want to know can I use the breast pump to reduce the size of my breast.

myasmami

Asked by myasmami at 10:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Um, I don't think a breast pump would do anything but make your boobs sore
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If you pump your just going to stimulate your body to make more. If your breasts are still larger after 3 years it likely means they are just going to remain that size. Most women find their breasts are pre baby size or smaller after breastfeeding but it's not unheard of to have larger breasts. I'd love to have your situation lol. A reduction surgery is probably the only way to reduce their size sadly
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm not too sure. But after 3 years you shouldn't be producing milk still which I would assume would mean you wouldn't be able to get anything out while pumping. So unless you are still producing then I don't think that would work. GL though momma.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You should no longer have milk production if you were not breastfeeding for the last three years.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• you still MIGHT have milk production. my aunt still sometimes leaks when she hears a baby cry and she hasnt breastfed in 7 years.
    if you PUMP it will stimulate the breasts which will NORMALLY mean it will produce more milk.
    dont pump! be happy for the breasticles! :)
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 10:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• After stopping you no longer have milk in your breasts. I think you should consult your doctor and get educated on how the human body works. You cannot just pick up a breast pump after 3 years and expect to have milk. Sheece!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you pump diligently, you might be able to bring back supply. Are you actually looking to pump to store milk? Or to reduce the size? If you mean will pumping reduce your breast size, it won't. If anything, it might encourage production, making them larger.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Furthermore, I have never heard of a woman not being able to nurse because of that. I might be wrong, but I am afraid you might have been given incorrect info. I don't know anything about your situation though, or if there were other factors involved in the thought that nursing would be unsafe, so I'm simply speculating.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011