why are parents so over protective

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• As in what? Certain things or everything?
    Anonymous

• i dont think that i am. I believe they have to live and learn and they need to make mistakes in order to learn. i have brought up a very tuff smart little 7yr old boy and hope he grows to be a wounderful man.
    Anonymous

• everything
    Anonymous

• Because they are afraid their kids will get in trouble. They are afraid the kids dont have the sense to make good choices. Kind of sad. My son is 18 now and I have always lived by "be honest above all & I will trust you until you give me a reason not to". He's never been in trouble. He is always where he says he will be. He calls. I can always count on him to do what he says he is going to do. Be trustworthy and you will be rewarded with more freedom. He is open with me when he is having a problem & asks for advice & help when he needs it.
    Anonymous

• My daughters are always telling me that I am over protective.  I agree when it comes to my children I am very PROTECTIVE! I tell them that's right, you are so precious to me that I CARE enough to give you rules and limits.  I am saying that I am very protective however I do know I am not with my children 24/7.  I hope they make good decisions, learn from their mistakes and use that common sense of theirs. I will not always be with them to protective them, I do not want my children to live in a bubble, I do want them to be safe and educated.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think because people see how children and teens are acting NOWADAYS....Sex when they want, disrepecting teachers, adults, parents, fighting, doing what ever they want, the media, and everything. I believe parents are now starting to get a hold on there children, because of what's been going on. I dont see being overprotective as a problem. I agree with letting them learn from there mistakes, but not while they are within your (parents) care. Not every situation that comes there way, should be handled by them thereselves. They are only children. We as adults sometime make bad decisions, so why are we leaving it up to children? I am VERY PROTECTIVE Of my child...MY MOTHER WAS VERY PROTECTIVE of her FIVE children, and ALL of us came out fine. Sooo, I fail to see the "stigma" with being overprotective.
    Anonymous

• there is a thing as being over protective that i think can cause serious harm but it's better to be protective then let your children run wild. my mothers friend never lets her grand kids walk to the corner store and they are teens. she is afraid that they will get hit by a car. now i think that is just stupid. she also won't them have much friends cause she thinks other kids are awful. it's strange cause when we go over we never know if they are there or not cause we can't hear them or see them. i think every things better in moderation.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• There is a difference between protecting your child and providing appropriate boundaries and not allowing them to develope the independent living skills they will need for adulthood. I am a firm believer that children need rules for safety, health, education, and to live in harmony with others around them. It is my job to ensure my son's safety. It also is equally my job as a parent to make sure I give my child the age appropriate opportunities for independent skills and to learn responsibility. It is a balance and I also think it is my job to know my child well enough to determine what responsibilities he should be given and what level of independence is needed. Are there parents who give too much independence too soon? Yes. And like wise there are parents who never detatch their children from their hip. Both are equally dangerous.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Parents are overprotective because they CARE AND LOVE THEIR KIDS.
    Anonymous

• Would you rather have them ignore you and not care about you?
    Anonymous