Lo-Cholesterol Mexican Meal question

I usually make enchiladas (with sour cream & cheese)- My daughter's birthday is going to be celebrated at home, with Tex-Mex treats. Does anyone know how to tweak recipes or what I can replace all the dairy with to help my husband (he just found out his cholesterol is a little high).

I don't really want to have a bunch of foods he can't eat, not much fun in that.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, and you can use nonfat/lowfat yogurt in place of sour cream in certain recipes. Also, the harder the cheese the better for you (usually). Replacing cheese is really hard. But try parmesan instead of mozzerella and add lots of salsa and less guacamole and sour cream. Use turkey instead of beef and add black olives. Baked tortilla chips or corn tortillas...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream (similar consistency) and look in the produce section for Veggie cheese. Doesn't melt very well, but tastes ok. I also agree with the other posters, sub ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef and think about making some selections with just white meat chicken. Also, avoid frying anything, and if you do use olive oil instead of other options.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Use no-fat or low-fat sour cream and cheese. Some of it isn't bad, you just have to experiment with the brands. Having some chicken available rather than ground beef would also help.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Thanks!!

As for the greek yogurt, great idea! I usually fry my tortillas for a second, to brown them, and only use chicken for the enchiladas.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Try greek yogurt
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011