Overbearing grandparents

so I have parents who just adore their grandson, whose soon to be 4, but have a hard time understanding their grandparents, and an aunt (my older sister). I have been reluctant but still allowed my son to go over my families house for this past weekend and when he left I specifically told my mother to relay to my father (their divorced) no one touch my sons hair he had an appointment the night before his birthday party to get his hair cut with a barber I chose because theirs always gives him a buzz cut and it looks terrible. My mom said ok, but when My son returned home sunday he had 2 big gashes in the back of his head where someone, obviously not a professional tried to cut his hair. I am beyond frustrated with them. This is one of many other times they have all gone against my word. I got a call from the hospital when my son was just supposed to be watching my son, while he had a fever (i'd already taken him to the hospital) from the hosptial that she'd taken him back and not even acknowledged me (she had to pass my house to get to the hospital. I've had enough of them, now its no more weekend visits, you want to see him, come over or we'll all stop by. Sound fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes,
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sounds more than fair to me. My mother was never interested in taking my kids and my MIL lived too far away, so while a relationship with their grandchild is fantastic and definitely something to support, if they totally disregard you, I'd certainly put a stop to the weekend visits.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes it sounds fair. You can also take him to visit and stay a while, that way you know what happens when he is there. It sounds like him being supervised by you is the only way they can keep you informed.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Definitely fair. The grandparents should defer to the mom/parents, not take matters into their own hands.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2011