Should I take my 1yr old to the dr?

3 days cough
4 days runny nose
2 days without sleeping

I know the kid is sick but do I really need to take him to the doctor?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• If no fever...nope. Treat the symptoms.
    Tylenol, and some OTC cough meds.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would but that is just me. When I wait she will get worse.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• u dont have to! u can treat it at home and let it run its course! wat r u doing to treat it? humidifier, hot steam room, water, raise the mattress on one side, nose drops will all help!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• if the cough is consistent then yes I do think you should take her, and take for a drive in the car to get her asleep.. have her sleep in her car seat..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband used to suck my kids nose really really well after a steamy bath and it really helped. Baby is probably not sleeping because he can not breath very well. So elevate his head in his crib, run a steamer....If it is allergies, make sure that you are washing baby's hair before bed, and take clothes worn that day out of his room. Keep his bedding clean. Keep windows in the house closed and use the a/c or fan instead. Stay inside from 10am to 2pm when allergens are the worst and on windy days. If that does not work and you do not see any kind of improvement in the sleeping and cough, go see the Dr. I was just reading on Webmd that Dr.s and parents should not be giving cough medicine to babies under 2 yrs old. So get the mucus out..give lots of clear fluids.
    Anonymous

• I dont take my kids to the dr unless they have a fever for a few days that wont break
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If it where my kid, no. I would be treating the cough and congestion with vapor rub and steam and lots of fluids... as for no sleep... well if they have a cough and lots of drainage that sounds normal. I know I can't sleep very well with a bad cold. Not much the ped could do anyway, and its senseless to expose your baby to more germs when their immune system is already compromised.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• No

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• dont give cough meds.....they cant take them yet...my 3 year old cant take otc cough and colds. But!! the vicks has a cough suppressent in the vapor rub! And if the baby is having loud breathing when asleep or vomiting when coughing, er!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I say as long as you can handle it at home then you dont need to take them to the Dr.. just make sure to keep giving them Tylenol to treat the little aches and pains and make sure they eat and drink.. And I would try saline drops and suck it out so he can breathe better and sleep better
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011