Would you try to break up a fight?

Today we saw a group of highschool kids at a bus stop.  They're always there at the same time everyday.  We were at a redlight and watched this large crowd take off across the street, running in front of cars.  A bunch of them starting beating up some kid.  My husband pulled up and was trying to get out to help the kid on the ground.  He started beeping, trying to divert them I guess.  I wouldn't let him get out, these kids were big and now swarming around.  I called 911, holding my husband back.  He got mad at me, saying what if it were OUR kid, wouldn't I want someone to help.  We see a cop about a block away and signaled him over.  We got home and my husband was upset, saying I should've let him get out.  I felt bad, he has a point and I'd certainly hope if that were my kid getting beat up, that someone would help.  A while later I went to the neighborhood police service station and talked to an officer.  He told me the kids got arrested and the one on the ground was hurt pretty badly.  I tell him about my husband and then he says, they had weapons!  So of course I'm now glad hubby stayed out of it.

If you saw this happen, what would you do.  I mean call the cops of course, but would you or your husband really, try to break it up?

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• In the neighborhood I grew up, that option would not be a good one. But then again, nowadays it is hard to tell what kids are carrying around. He has a big heart and that is wonderful. Calling the police is the right move. Now I can understand where your husband is coming from, personally, if it were my kids I would probably not even have a thought, I'd find myself over there in a flash without blinking. In this case, I probably would've yelled out, "Cops!"
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 11:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I probably would have let him out to help. I think that in general as soon as kids see an adult heading towards them, they will back off. They are not gonna try to fight an adult. But, that is totally your call to make. I wasn't there, I didn't see the kids. As long as you feel comfortable with the decision you made, then I say its fine :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my hubby would , i wouldnt unless i knew it was my kid ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Oh I felt very bad about the poor kid and it's not really up to me, he could've jumped out if he really wanted to.  There were adults around, watching!  These kids did not care who saw.   It was a very busy intersection.  That made him mad, too that no one else jumped in.  Now that we know they had weapons and the cops said it's a common occurance, I certainly hope the police will monitor the area more often.  The highschool is a block from there.

The whole thing is bugging me.  14-17 year olds with weapons at school.  Fighting like that.  And yeah if it was my kid, I'd have been all over it. 

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would have sent my husband out to try to stop them while I called the police. But i would have been worried that they might hit him.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Staying in the car and calling 911 is the smartest thing to do. There have been several news reports around here of good Samaritans trying to help in a fight or a domestic dispute that have been killed for trying to help out.

How sad.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband most likely would have been out of the car trying to stop it. I probably wouldn't have been able to stop him. He was bullied in high school and eventually had to defend himself. I think it takes it personally when he sees a kid getting picked on / beat up. I would not have tried to break it up myself, especially since I am not even 5ft and look pretty young. I would've called 911 like you did.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband would have been looking for a parking spot as I was jumping out of the car! OF COURSE I would want someone to help my son, brother, husband, or father in that situation, so I'm the type to do it for someone else. I am far more reactionary than my husband, but he's the one with the black belt!

If you're too afraid to do nothing else, stand there and be a witness.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It goes without saying that if it were my kid, we'd have been outta the car in a flash.  And OF COURSE I'd want someone to help my kid.  Sadly though, these days some kids do carry weapons and I'm not risking my life, risking my son growing up without a mom or dad.  It's not a matter of being too afraid, it's a matter of life or death.

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I definitely would have let my DH go and break it up-he knows how to handle himself, and if I had been alone, I would have tried to stop it as well. Yelling and such, but not actually wading into the fight. Well, I guess I would have waded in if I had to. I couldn't watch something like that happen and NOT do anything about it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011