Adoption Grants

My husband and I are looking to adopt and one of the children we are interested in, is clear over on the east coast (we are in hawaii). Is there anyone out there that has gotten an adoption grant or does anyone know where we can find one? We would like to cover expeneses ourselves, but because of all involved, I'm finding it will be impossible. We have looked all over the internet......thankyou ahead of time and no bashing please.

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 11:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Adoption

• The only grant I know of is through Shohannah's Hope (sp?), which is Steven Curtis Chapman's foundation. They give preference to couples pursuing international adoption, and you have to already be in the process. You may want to keep researching, because there may be grants out there that I'm not aware of. I know the costs associated with travel and waiting in another state due to interstate compact laws must be significant. The adoption tax credit was just made fully refundable, so you would recover about $11,000 of your expenses when you file taxes for the year that you finalize.

We had plenty of time to save the money for the first adoption, then we actually borrowed the money for the second one. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have you been officially matched with the child or close to it? Some states will help cover your costs for pre-placement visits of their foster children. Have you looked into your employer offering adoption benefits, most are reimbursements though. We are in the process of adopting a child that was located 4 states away, we made 5 pre-placement visits, thankfully DCF covered a large amount of our fees, reimbursements. We looked into several grants, but most are again reimbursements, and most are for domestic or International adoption, and most you have to be officially matched.

I'm assuming you are looking into adopting a foster child, I'm not sure how far into the process you are, but it took my husband and I 1 1/2 years to become matched and another 6 months to bring our child home... That was 1 1/2 years looking thru state photolistings all over US, about 3 hours EVERY night, placing inquiries on an average 5 kids a wk!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Please check out my group here on CM, M.A.M.A. (Making Adoption More Affordable). PM me as well. We just adopted twins 9 months ago.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:39 PM on May. 1, 2011