Adoption Grants

My husband and I are looking to adopt and one of the children we are interested in, is clear over on the east coast (we are in hawaii). Is there anyone out there that has gotten an adoption grant or does anyone know where we can find one? We would like to cover expeneses ourselves, but because of all involved, I'm finding it will be impossible. We have looked all over the internet......thankyou ahead of time and no bashing please.

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 11:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you ever thought about adopting a special needs child? I only ask because LPA(Little People of America) have tons of kids with various types of dwarfism and sometimes they have grants available to help. I am the parent of a Little Person. I have 4 boys and my youngest has a form of dwarfism called Achondroplasia(he's not adopted, I gave birth to him). He's healthy and happy and so smart......it just breaks my heart that these kids get over looked because they don't fit the "normal" perceived notion of what a child is.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We have looked at some special needs kids, yes. In fact, we have been looking at a preteen/early teenager up to 15. I know what you mean by kids getting overlooked. There are so many teens in the system. People seem to think they don't want them because they're "not cute anymore, or set in their ways, blah blah" sooooooo not fair for these kids...........Even still though, we would be flying a long ways. we are looking at 2 round trips from here to the east coast, one oneway back here for them, 2 weeks (or less) in a hotel out there for us to stay, rental car, gas, food, etc. We just want to make sure everything is covered, thats why we are looking for a grant. We are willing to put in as much as we possibly can on our own, but I don't want to put a price on a child and say it's too much and we can't go.........so we continue to look,.....
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There is an adoption section here that may help you get the answers you are looking for. Try posting this question there...and much luck to you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011