Help

my 22 month old dd has this bad fear of the vacuum she screams and cry till i pick her up which makes it impossible to clean good i use to be able to put her in the high chair and give her a sucker but that don't work anymore does anyone know how to help her calm down.

luckygurl17

Asked by luckygurl17 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest is now two and a half and she goes through stages of hating the vaccuum. Can't tell you how many times I've ended up vacuuming with one hand while holding her in the other arm. I try to vaccuum when someone else is home and they can take her downstairs or outside, or at least distract/cuddle her.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• have you tried having her help you do the vacuuming? They also have those play vacuums for toddlers. If she likes music try turning some on or maybe have her watch a movie or a kids show long enough to get the vacuuming done. Gl momma.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would say let her know you are going to do it before turning it on. I might let her check it out first..I used to make a loud vacuum noise myself before turning it on and it seems to be not so scary.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what might help maybe having her help you. Get a small hand held one that she can play with to see it isn't scary or get a toy one she can play with.
    shadowia

Answer by shadowia at 11:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Both of my children (Especially my oldest) HATE when I vacuum. However, the floor had to be vacuumed.
    Right now I can put them in the playroom and shut the door (The window ajoining the playroom and kitchen is open so I can hear them). They usually are okay when I do that. However, when both DH and I are home one of us will go sit with them to help distract them. Sometimes though I have to vacuum and they go hide in our son's room.

It's not going to traumatize them or scar them, it's okay to let them cry it out. I suggest distracting her with a video or toy in another room.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I had mine start helping me vacuum. It worked like a charm. She like to help use the electric broom. Mine just likes to help clean in general. See if helping you will help the problem. I have even gone to the length of having daddy stand there with her and run the vacuum up to her feet and show her that it won't hurt her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2011