Making my own baby food

Iplain on making my own baby food for my son has anyone else done this and if so do you have any tips?

Sage11

Asked by Sage11 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I steamed everything and then blended it. It worked great. As my son got older, I started to mash it by hand so it would be thicker and lumpier so he would get more texture. That also worked great:) He only has two front teeth and he chews better than my sister's three year old. (He's ten months now btw ) He can do all kinds of foods that nobody can believe, including meat balls, toast, chicken, and so much more :) I think being able to control his food texture played a big part in this. It also saves TONS of money. I can make his food (now especially that he is eating some big boy food as well) for about thirty to sixty dollars a month, depending on the sales on produce and whether I indulge in expensive stuff like avocados( which he adores and are incredibly good for babies). Store bought baby food would cost us over 100 and month and over 130 a month is we went organic, which we do every chance we get. Good luck!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Do a lot of reading about it before you attempt it so that you know what to do before you get started. I think there are a few books that cover it, but I'm not sure about the titles. Just read up on the easiest ways to prepare whatever foods you intend to make, as well as how to store them (I used an ice cube tray covered with plastic wrap and stuck in the freezer, usually). I think there are also some videos on YouTube that show different ways and stuff. Good luck with it!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Here are some books on Amazon. On YouTube, you can just search for "making baby food" and it will turn up various videos about it, with different foods and stuff.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There are also several web sites that list the recipes by types of food and when you should feed them. Here is one of them... http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    laceyharris

Answer by laceyharris at 11:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I made and froze all of my food. I defrosted and thickened as needed. I made everything and as she got older I even pureed what we were eating for dinner. My LO ate baby food until about 18 mos b/c she had such a soft gag and everything came back up. I didn't do any reading or studying on it. I went with commonsense and bought, steamed, and pureed fresh veggies and fruits as long as they weren't on the allergen list (stuff you should avoid until over 12 mos).
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I used fresh and frozen veggies and fruits, steamed them, pureed them and that was that. No perservatives so they don't last long. You can use small plastic containers to freeze, or leftover unused breastmilk freezer bags, for traveling put the bag in warm water and tu-dah thawed and ready to eat.
    SiliMomi

Answer by SiliMomi at 7:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• hank you I did buy a book called the well fed baby and i plan on buying a few more he's only 2 months old so i have some time to study up on it :)
    Sage11

Comment by Sage11 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• make sure you research this real good as you dont want the food to go bad and have a upset tummy.
    080583heather

Answer by 080583heather at 11:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Annabel Karmel books are great same with the Cooking Light Baby food book.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Make it in large batches and freeze it.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2011