What to do with swollen mosquito bites?

One of my daughters has 3 swollen mosquito bites, and I am not too sure why??? They have not been outside late at night lately... maybe they had one trapped in their room? Anyway, I have never had this happen to either of the girls before, what is a good remedy?

cldetary

Asked by cldetary at 10:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My boys are allergic to them (Alex and Gabe) Zach just swelled for the first time. These are some great tips to try.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 5:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I use After Bite for Kids. You can get it at any pharmacy. It works well for mosquito and spider bites. Helps the kids not to itch so much. A lot of times the swelling comes from them messing with it.
    titusmommy

Answer by titusmommy at 11:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Plain old rubbing alcohol. Rub it on the bite when you get bit. It keeps them from swelling which makes them itch. If you put it on instead of scratching they go away faster! good luck
    MissyJo68

Answer by MissyJo68 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It sounds like she has an allergy. Try some rubbing benedryl liquid and benedryl cream on the bit and see if that will help bring the swelling down.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 11:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Just be careful with the Afterbite. If the skin is broken it will STING. Otherwise, it really does work well. I use a paste made from water and baking soda. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Have you checked for Bed Bugs?
    Bed Bugs attackes at night time and leaves welts and swollen areas where they bite. You might want to look at the mattress, pillows, and base boards along the walls. If you see red or dark spots on the base boards or anywhere near or on the bed... its bed bug droppings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I agree with past poster, Bed Bugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am allergic to mosquitos as well and all of these suggestions are wonderful I usually take benedryl or rub cream on the bites themselves if i don't have too many I know many children become hyperactive when given benedryl or then become very sleepy so the cream or after bite may work better. They should go away just like normal.
    joyofpacolet

Answer by joyofpacolet at 11:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2008