My child still hits and kicks and he is 8. I just can't make him stop!

My son has had behavior issues since the age of 3. Kicked out of numerous daycares for bad behavior, mostly hitting, and then we started kindergarten. By then we had him seeing a psychologist, as things were pretty bad. He only lasted half the year and then they put him in a special class for kids with behavior issues. He is on meds, we saw the psychologist for 2 more years, he was hospitalized twice in Children's, I have read every book I can get my hands on, he is on meds, we see a psychiatrist, I talk and talk and talk to him, but he still misbehaves in class most days and hits not only other kids but teachers too. Does anybody have any good suggestions for me? Any really good doctors that have truly helped their kids with this type of issue they can reommend? I am really at the end of my rope here.

atendofmyrope

Asked by atendofmyrope at 11:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My suggestion is to take all of his joys away and explain to him he won't get them back until he can show proper behavior.

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My dd is the same way, When your raising kids like him, its hard. Your doing everything that you can. I have my dd seeing a behavier counsior twice a month but there are day that are real bad, and school is never better.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• super nanny? i honestly dont know. my nephew is three and started to act like this and we arent sure what to do either
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son was acting like this. I went and got help through behavior classes for kids. It is almost like parenining class only u deal with kids that are acting out. my DS is not in regular school he is home school. I notice that when he can't express his self he hits, kick, and cuss at times. I am learning how to solve those problem by talking to him and taking things away. Sometime when he is in time out he cames back to me and explain to me why he is acting that way. He compossive and loves to hit. He knows in order to get out that door on play dates he has to behave. Not only for his safety but for other people to. I learned that yelling does not work and saying things more then one time don't work either. You need some thing to grab his attention. Once you do that then u can work with him. My son loves to go out doors so he knows in order to get what he wants he has to give me good behavior.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It sounds like you have done a lot and he has some pretty serious struggles. I would just keep looking for therapists/behaviorists that can help. Good luck, it sounds like you are really stressed and overwhelmed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• What KTMOM said is what I would suggest as well. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sounds like you need a new therapist.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• talk to his doctor and his teacher at school and see if this behavior is going on at school or not; my son is one way when he is at school and then when he gets home he is the total opposite and we ended up talking to his doctor and he gave us some suggestions to work with and they have helped
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• New therapist, more testing, support group for you.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I deal with the same things with my 7 year old son, It's very hard and unless you've gone through it, you just can't understand. People think it is a discipline problem when it's not. If the meds aren't working, try changing meds. Increasing the dosage may help. Find a support group for parents with the same problems. If this doesn't work, try a new therapist. Second opinions never hurt.
    SunTGirl

Answer by SunTGirl at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011