Religous change

I'm LDS right now but I am wanting to check out some other churches for my own personal reasons but I was wondering if you ladies could tell me a little more about your religion?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 11:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Pagan, so I doubt I'd be much help, but I was raised Pentecostal (not the long skirts, don't cut your hair, etc., the slightly more relaxed kind). Pentecostals (at least the churches that I've been to, which were many), typically all believed in the gifts of the spirit (like speaking in tongues), they baptized people if they wanted to be baptized (which was encouraged), they believed you could only be saved by confessing to God and that you should have a personal relationship with God, tithe, read the Bible or listen when you could, they liked to sing in church a lot, had prayer for people, revivals, etc. If you have specific questions about those types of churches, you can PM me if you like.

**I really hope that my wording about the different types of Pentecostals doesn't offend anyone, that's just the only way I could think to differentiate between the two kinds around here, so please don't be offended.**
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I consider myself a Naturalistic Pantheist (or Scientific Pantheist. This means that I think the concept of God is equivalent to the Universe itself or forces of Nature, but do not believe in personal, anthropomorphic creator gods.

I also practice Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction to Buddhism
    and some aspects of Taoism.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I meant to add that I was a Presbyterian as a child, in a church which was part of the Presbyterian U.S.A., in case you're only looking for other Christian denominations. It appears they have a website.

Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• For personal reasons I stopped attending the LDS church where I was raised in as a child. I've still not found another that I enjoy and believe in, and for that reason, I now consider myself agnostic. BUT just let me know when the next pot-luck is, and I'll be there with bells on!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Im a former member of the LDS church who now is an eclectic Wiccan Witch.

Basically, I believe in balance. I believe that where there is a male diety there is a female as well. Where there is light, there is dark and so on.
    I believe in reincarnation and in the energy of everything in and around us. I believe the Divine is within us and not seperated from us and that they dont expect us to follow rules and regulations to be close to them.

Thats some of it anyway. Good Luck on your journey!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Haha anon I feel ya :) the pot lucks are always good :)
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I, too, am Pagan, but as you're looking to hear about other religions, I figure I'll give you my 2 cents. The beauty of Paganism is that it is very personal. I do not believe there is purely a right and wrong when it comes to religion, because religion is man made and man is flawed. Spirituality is pure and from the Gods... SO I focus less on religious beliefs and traditions and more on my relationship with my Higher Powers... I spend an hour or two a day reading and discovering religions from around the world and through the ages, and I tend to find truth in all of them, and flaws in all of them as well... Most religions have basic similarities which hold true no matter what label they fall under, it's these similarities which tend to ring true to me, and the rest simply comes from my heart... I believe in many Gods & Goddesses and that all things in nature are sacred. And more than anything I try to show that in my life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm Methodist. We believe that God, who loves us very much, sent Jesus to make that love and our response clear to humans. We believe that what we call "sin" isn't one behavior or another, but is the tendency of people to see things from their point of view and to seek their own well being at the expense of others. We believe that God, through Christ, works in the heart of every person to move away from that selfishness and into love-in-action for all people.
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 5:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011