Son never wants to leave the house

My 16 year old never wants to go out and make friends and play outside all he wants to do is play his drums and his sax and his video games how do I get him to be more active.

Cshaw73

Asked by Cshaw73 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Would he be interested in doing his musical things with a class of some sort? Maybe he's struggling socially at school or maybe he's just happy on his own. What specifically are you worried about? And have you talked to him, what does he say?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• wow that nothing i have son who is 31yrs old does not leave the house unless night due that can't be in the sun he gets blisters
    have you ever thought there some kids who pick on him and feel better on his own or with you and your family
    mom kids go through life and stages of life and he is in one now there will be day when you will ask when will he come ever see any more enjoy the time you have know
    take out shopping he will like or see what he into
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well, it's hard to get teens to get outside and be active. Teens would rather loaf around and "hang out" I think...Maybe you can make chores for him to do outside, like mowing, weeding, sweeping..or something..Maybe add a little monetary incentive..That way he'll be doing something other than videogames. I've seen too many people get addicted to those, especially if they have "friends" in the games they play..It's way easier to make friends on a computer than IRL
    oOFELIXOo

Answer by oOFELIXOo at 12:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i wouldnt worry to much hell get out of that stage sooner or later!

@o0felix0o there isnt anything wrong being addicted to video games
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would not worry about it.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I've raised 2 sons, the youngest is 20. What he's doing is very normal. They both have active lifestyles now, oldest is in the Air Force, youngest works p/t and goes to college. It's a stage he's going through and I KNOW it's hard, but be patient because one day he'll discover that big world out there and you'll miss his presence :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I wouldnt worry about it, at least he is doing something good, just be careful with the amount of time playing video games
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 10:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would check to see if there were any musical groups for his age in the area... I agree though that it's probably a stage though.... but if you are really concerned, I would try like musical 4-h or something....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'd be grateful I knew where he was all the time and that he had a passion for music. Leave him alone.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Some of us are meant to be home bound, my son use to be the same, never wanting to go anywhere, and then high school ended and he fell in love and left for school, he came back a totally changed person, only now he is more responsible but he still likes to stay home......

Answer by older at 5:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011