How to motivate, my 7 years old?

I remember the first time I heard from my daughter's preschool teacher that she my daughte doesn't do any effort to do her work. I thought that the teacher was over reacting but now my daughter is 7 yo. and we hear it every year from her teachers how messy her work is, not motivated, sometimes disrespectful. We talked for years about how important to do out best, we did punishments and rewards. I am out of ideas. She is very challenging and She was doing fine in the beginning then she's back to her old behavior. Anybody with common problems??

diet7up

Asked by diet7up at 12:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she is sloppy make her redo it till it is right. I have with my son because he rushes. I told him I would erase all the stuff he did and make him rewrite it until he wrote clearly.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 10:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I feel for you; my advice is to try to get into her head; see things from her perspective and find some way of motivating her by making it seem to her to be to her advantage to do the work and do her best. Different approaches work differently depending on the child's personality and priorities and individual strengths and interests. It's really important to try to assess it from her point of view. Why is she disinterested? Some kids it's because the work is too hard, too easy, or just too boring. Whatever the problem is, is that problem that you need to address.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• whats her favorite things like toy , cloths , tv show , work that into teaching her some how
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Ask the doctor because maybe she's getting behind. Maybe she doesn't see or hear or something (happened to a friend of mine, shocked the parents and he needed a hearing aid). Ask a therapist.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• She's into cash and playdates. Honestly, I am giving her 50 cents for each neat worksheet. Like everything, it works in the beginning then she looses interest.
    diet7up

Comment by diet7up (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• For Judimary
    I just feel that I am doing something wrong but don't know what it is! My youngest daughter is totally the opposite and we have no problem with her at all. But I am going to keep on trying. That's why I'm here anyway
    diet7up

Comment by diet7up (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I find that my OWN level of motivation really rubs off on others, especially my child. I think that leading by example and showing motivation/initiative and the clear and positive results of working hard is a big deal.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• maybe she knows the stuff already and gets bord with the work
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 4:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Ask her what will motivate her. When that wears off, renegotiate.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• talk to her doctor and see if there is an underlying problem that you may not know about; if not ask her why she isn't doing her best work and what you can do to help her
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011