Help! Puppy's first night home with us.

The breeder told us it's best to just let him "cry it out" so to speak and not go to him when we put him to bed in his crate. But just as with my baby, his little puppy whimper cries are breaking my heart. Was the breeder right or should I let the little guy out and snuggle with him.

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 12:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• It depends.....where is this pup going to sleep at night on a regular basis? No point in putting him in a crate if that is not where his "den" is going to be. BUT...if you are planning to stay consistent and put him in the crate every night, it's going to be hard, but just let him whine and whimper and cry.

We are getting a puppy in a couple of months or so and are going to be using a crate just as we did with our other two dogs...not looking forward to living through those night again.

Good luck!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Put a hot water bottle covered with a towel, so the puppy can snuggle with something warm. Add an old fashioned wind-up alarm clock that makes the "tick-tock" sound under another towel to muffle the noise a bit and make it sound more like mama dog's heartbeat.

Finally, put the puppy to bed when everyone else has gone to bed, AS FAR FROM YOU AS POSSIBLE! You don't want him hearing your roll over in the night, or he'll stay awake.

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• This is my puppy's first night too. He's in the living room in his cage with all the lights out and he's sleeping fine. It woke him up when I got home late a few minutes ago. He whined for 5 minutes and went back to sleep. your puppy probably isn't potty trained yet so you have to let him sleep in there or he'll pee in your bed or all over your house.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 12:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Your breeder is right. If he cries and you go and get him he will just learn that if he makes enough noise he gets out of the crate.

DO NOT put him as far away from you as possible though. My 22 month old Black Russian Terrier sleeps in his crate beside my bed. They will not wake up everytime you roll over. Puppies are like human babies, they sleep very soundly.

When he stops whining, you can let him out of the crate...but do not let him out until he stops whining.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't have a water bottle thing but i have a neck wrap i can microwave. would that maybe work?
    toykeymama

Comment by toykeymama (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Though i don't believe in cry-it-out with babies, puppies are different. I didn't let my new puppy whine and cry, couldn't take it. 13 years later, he still sleeps by my side every night. I've tried to break him of it a few times over the years, but no luck. I gave up. I really don't mind it, he's only 12 pounds, and he's used to sleeping with me, so it's not worth upsetting what he's gotten used to. He does go into a kennel if i have to leave (for short times, like the grocery store), and i put a nice cozy dog bed in his kennel, his favorite blanky (which when he was a pup, a blanket i slept with to get my 'scent' on for him). I didn't have a problem with potty in the bed. But you don't want puppy to potty in his sleep area either, or you'll have a harder time potty training. Make sure you have him 'go' before bed, maybe during the night (but no play time!), and first thing when waking up. God luck:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The first few nights are always the hardest~~just like with a baby
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• LOL We always get pets in twos so they are not lonely. LOL
    Can you put a crate in the bedroom? Pup might feel better knowing you are there.
    We had a German Short haired Pointer who was crate trained. As soon as he is potty trained you can start letting him sleep out of the crate. We had his bed in our room. When we left he was crated and he came to love it. We left the door open and he would go in there and sleep.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• keep him in the crate! It's best for him and your house since he is obviously not house trained yet. He will eventually learn to love his crate. It's no different than making a child sleep in their own room. I know it's hard but he will live and he needs to find the crate to be a comfort zone. Our dogs are allowed to roam the house at all hours now, but their crates are always open and they go in there when they're tired, upset, or just in the mood to be alone. It's not a punishment. It's their own special place. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The breeder is right. Just put a couple of towels in a bowl shape for him to snuggle. Our puppy cried for a few days and finally broke of it. Our puppy we had 2 years ago he quit crying in a day. Bella quit in about four or five days. I do remember one night my husband getting up in the middle of the night an banging on the top of her cage. I though to myself "jerk" but she did quit lol, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011