My 8 year old told me she think shes loosing her mind :(

what do i do?

her teacher called me today and told me she had her head down the whole morning and did no work my husband was killed in a car accident last week and i know thats part of the problem,

but what do i say to my baby when shes feeling like this?

when i asked her why she had her head down her response was:Mommy i have a lot on my mind,im Really trying too get 100% on my spelling test on Friday but its really hard because i keep forgetting everything,and i really wanna be in the spelling bee at my school next Month but im too scared because if i Loose i don't want anyone to think im stupid and plus Daddy Died and mommy im really trying to be a big girl But i just cant stop crying and mommy im loosing my mind

i wanted to Cry after she told me that:(

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 12:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Get that child in therapy. :-(
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would ask her what that means (to her).

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• When my mom passed away, I felt like I was "losing my mind", too. It's difficult to concentrate when you are grieving. It's only been a week since he passed away? It's understandable that she feels this way. It may help for her to talk to someone who isn't emotionally invested such as a counselor about her feelings. Of course, you should let her know that she can always talk with you about how she feels as well.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I am so sorry, this poor baby. I think she needs some type of therapy as well. This is a lot for an adult to handle this is even harder for a child. I wish you the best. HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• thanks ladys i have to laugh to keep from crying because ive been going threw alot its not easy at all
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I lost my mom when i was 10 and i remember saying somethings like that and its b/c i felt like that b/c i wasnt sure how to deal with the feels of emotion i was haveing at the time but i can promise you therapy is not what she needs........she will feel worse b/c she will feel like they dont know what shes going thru(and most wont).....just sit down with her and ask her to share all her thoughts with you or write them down for you and thenbasicly share how you feel with her its sounds odd cuz im not sure how to explain it but its what my dad did with me right after my died and it helped alot!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My niece lost her father less than a year ago. She is 10, so they're around the same age. For a week she just stopped talking. She wouldn't respond when you asked her a question, she didn't ask for anything, it was like she wasn't really there. After that she started warming up again and now she's okay. I'm sure she still misses her daddy but she's dealing with it. I think, if it's possible, you should take her out of school for a week. Get her assignments for her to do at home and send them in. It's too much pressure for her to have to pretend everything is okay at school. She needs some time to deal with this instead of having to pretend she's okay.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 12:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i cant imagine the horrible time you both must be going through right now. and to be honest she probably does feel like she is "losing her mind" i mean she must have so many different emotions going through her right now that she has never felt before and with her also being worried about how things are going at school she is probably having a difficult time handling it all. i know one of the other mamas said she need to get into some kind of therapy, does she go to anything like that? maybe she can talk to one of the counselors at school? i hope everything gets better, i will take time but hopefully she will learn to deal with her emotions and all the things going on right now. if you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I am so sorry. Talk to the teacher and come up with a plan to help her. She needs to be given a lot of slack right now because she is grieving. It is so hard on kids because they can not process it like adults can. Tell her she does not have to be in the spelling bee if she is not feeling up to it. Tell her that you will worry aout that when the time gets closer. Let her talk about her dad asmuch as possible. You might plant some seeds or a shrub in honor of her dad. It's something to do that helps get her through this. Seeds were handed out to the children at my father's wake. I don't remember the cute poem that went with it but the children liked it. I wish you all the best. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Therapy!!!! NOW!!! If her father passed suddenly I cannot even believe she is back at school. I mean, this is facts, and eventually she will have to go to school...but a week? I think I would get the advise of a professional before I made any decissions. So sorry for your loss.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2011