How to balance friends with motherhood.

I really only see one friend on a regular basis. we work together so it doesn't really count. I very rarely talk or see the others. How can I start forming friendships while spending time with my child? Is the trick to only have friends with children? Should they be close to the same age? Or is there another way to have friends when you always have your child with you? I love having my daughter with me. But if i go shopping with a friend with her, then she is bored. If a friend goes with me to take my daughter to a play place, then the friend will be bored. What do you do with your friends? How often do you see them?

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 1:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• the easiest thing is to go meet friends w/ kids close to your child's age. playgroups are a good place to meet other moms
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• yeah i had 2 friends with kids areound my sons age and my age but i stopped being friends with them cause one was a whore and the other like to drink every night after work and not spend time with her kid. just try and find people with the same qaulities you are looking for in a friend. you can have mother friends and go out friends. just make sure they know you child ALWAYS comes first.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 1:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• for me most of my friends have kids that are around the ages of my children. When I first had kids I was the only one in my group and after a while my old friends just didn't get it. When my 3rd child was born I became a SAHM and started going to play groups. That was when a met a group of moms that had the same interests as me. About a year later my oldest was in first grade and I met another group of moms. When we first started going out we always had the kids with us. Thye would play and we would all talk. As time went on and the kids got older we started going out with and without the kids. Now the kids are 14, 12, and 9. We still hang out with and without the kids and it is great.

I do agree the key is to find people who have similar interests to you. If they don't have children then they need to understand your DD will always come first no matter what.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2011