How can I get my 5 year to stop sucking on his finger?

mommyforlife410

Asked by mommyforlife410 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• APPLY SOMETHING CHILLIE ON HIS FINGER
    ntubby

Answer by ntubby at 7:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• they sell some stuff at babies r us to put on his finger to make it taste bad.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• ok thanks. I'll try that
    mommyforlife410

Comment by mommyforlife410 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• A lot of kids do it out of anxiety. You can give him something else for the oral fixation/comfort thing, a lot of parents get a necklace with something safe on it they can put in their mouth rather than fingers. Remind him that fingers are DIRTY and sucking them can make him SICK.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Let him stop when he is ready. Sucking on thumb or fingers is a comfort for some kids. The more you draw attention to it, the more he will suck on his fingers. Also, once he is in school, peer pressure will take care of it. I have never seen a kid walk across the stage at high school graduation sucking on his fingers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• next time he starts to just put his finger in somr apple cider vinager just a little unless he like that?
    sunflowerbeth

Answer by sunflowerbeth at 10:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't put anything nasty tasting on them. I don't think it works. It is always better to do something positive instead of something negative when it comes to habits. Substituting something else to do with his hands is a good idea. Figure out when he does it most and give him an alternate activity like holding a stuffed toy at bedtime, for instance. As an alternative, you could get a sticker chart and have him fill in a sticker every day for, say a week and then he gets a reward. It takes a while to break a habit.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Continual reminders.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ask him why he is sucking his finger if there is something bothering him or what and tell him that it will ruin his front teeth if he continues
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have a 29 y/o granddaughter who stil sucks her thumb, so if you find an answer that works, pm me!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2011