what typ eof sewing machine shoul di get, fashion

i want to be a freelance fasion designer. im takign classes right now but my sewing machine sucks...i need to get a good one that i can run into the ground, something that will give me good options etc. but i cant afford no 1000 sewing machine. what makes n models would you suggest? i suppose something mid level, not top of the line cause i canta fford top of the line yet

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have a Brother (not sure what model or anything) that I've had for 15 years. I love it. I make clothes for my kids, curtains for around the house...it get's used a lot! I believe it's made by the Singer company but it's like their generic brand so it's cheaper (this is what I was told...I really don't know for sure but the Singer bobbins fit in it so it could be true).

I think Wal-Mart sells them, too.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I used to work at joanns and we had a lot of problems with the whites that we sold. I have a kenmore (mom has the same model) we have used them like crazy and they are still going strong. I think the main thing would be to not buy the bottom of the line of any brand. Buy a new machine (they will have at least a one year warranty, usually and are returnable for a short time if they are inferior) that is mid-cost. Figure out what features that you want before you go and research different brands online.
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 7:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I would not recommend a simplicity machine at all (piece of junk) and do not be tricked into buying the cutsey machines with hello kitty... on them. You are looking for a full size sewing machine that works (so that means none of the little machines that you'll find at target or kmart or anywhere else). For me, when i someday have to replace my machine it will either be another kenmore or a Husquvarna (yes more expensive, but really good and reliable).
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 7:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• the brother sewing machines at target and walmart are a good deal. they are under 100.00 and they do everything the big boys do. they are easy to use and sturdy. i highly recommend them; i have two; one i travel with, one stays home.
    CookieZenmilk

Answer by CookieZenmilk at 5:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• you may want to try looking for a refurbished commercial model, just do a google search for commercial sewing machines. As far as durability they can be better.
    Anonymous

• I would say buy the best machine you can afford. For smoothe stitching, I love my Viking, but I wouldn't buy their very bottom of the line machines. I know ladies who swear by Bernina. If you can't afford a good Viking or Bernina.....I highly recommend Janome for affordable sewing. They have some great electronic or computerized machines for reasonable prices. As another poster said, I wouldn't by the cheapest of any machine....usually you get what you pay for.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008