Colic?

I am breastfeeding and my little one has colic any advice on what to do would really help me thanks

ProudMommy134

Asked by ProudMommy134 at 5:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am breastfeeding and my little girl has colic a bit too. Not severe, but enough to worry about. She is one month old

The first thing I did was limit my caffeine....trying to do only one cup a day.

I also took her to the DR and with her symptoms he said he thought she had a bit of reflux. He put her on meds. Yesterday was her first day taking it and I THINK I see an improvement, but too soon to really know.

He also said a warm water bottle or heating pad on her belly might help a bit...but to be careful of it getting too warm...of course.

Look into reflux...some Dr's think its the reason for colic...others dont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• In Harvard Medical journals a study was done about 10 years ago that linked colic to gas trapped in the body, other than the tummy, both of my daughters went through it. 8 yr old and 4 month old. I looked into what could be done, I found 2 safe and affective was to help. 1) Mylican Infant gas drops - over the counter gas drops I used them while prego too. It is used for hardening of the food when prego. 2) All natural colic tabs both are very affective with a little bouncing after giving- helps move the gas bubbles around. As with anything though u should ask ur Dr. or call ur nurse help line before using.
    SiliMomi

Answer by SiliMomi at 7:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Another thing that may work is after feeding her have her sit up in a swing or something else for 15-20 min's! I know that she is still a newborn, does she take a Binky that may also help!
    Remember to look at your diet are you getting a lot of water, and raw fruit and veggies! I would stay away from anything greasy, and no fast food!
    I think that it is a wonderful thing that you are BF!
    Good Luck Dear!
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• hugs Sleep as much as possible when you can..... 

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My doctor told me that any food that makes me gassy will most likely make the baby gassy too. So i recommend eliminating that first. Also, I asked the doctor about a reflux test. i found that he had reflux that needed to be treated. Finally after 6 weeks of 2 or 3 hours of sleep at night, he and I got some much needed rest!
    Freundmommyx5

Answer by Freundmommyx5 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I hate to say it, but most of the above answers aren't exactly true. Gassy foods that a nursing mother eats actually can't make a gassy baby and things like mylicon drops aren't that effective (and although some babies DO HAVE reflux, it's pretty rare). My daughter had colic, so I did a ton of research and created a free 45 min audio lecture to help explain some of these myths. It's at http://overthinkingmom.com/colic if interested.
    bartme03

Answer by bartme03 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try using the homeopathic gripe water Colic Calm--you can purchase it at CVS or on their site. It worked for me, and it's incredible to read all the testimonials of other happy moms! Good luck, colic is extremely frustrating and no fun at all!
    momtokande

Answer by momtokande at 6:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011