Read Joshua 6 and nearly choked on my coffee!

For some reason my heart just can't get away from my faith no matter what I do. I don't consider myself in any religion but I have taken it upon myself to really study and understand the bible. I do a daily devotional for woman and of course most things I get and see but it seems that they "pick and choose" which verses. That particular verse sounds great but I go further and read the entire passage.

So anyway, this day the devotional quoted Joshua 6:2. The idea was to think about if God has given you something that you knew would happen before it did and did you take it as a blessing. The other thought that was written in this devotional was how we may not understand some things but God is working behind the scenes. Ok, I get that but....

In reading Joshua 6 did God really approve of killing all those people? Maybe I need to go back some and figure out why this happened in the first place but I don't see the justification in this at all and on top of that save the prostitute because she hid the spies?? It seems more like man's idea of a story rather than an inspired one to me.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I dont see it that way. I see it as a story of faith and knowing God will deliver your enemies to you so to speak. It isnt supposed to focus on the life and death of the situation but to show us that in our lives when we ask God to deliver us from our enemies if it is meant to be it will happen because God has already decided it before you asked. Think about this, when someone wrongs you and you pray about it, maybe that person that wrongs you thinks of you as their enemy. Then what? If God delivers you to them? In any situation there are two sides, all we can do is pray and have faith we are on the right side.

Answer by gemgem at 8:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Hmm, I guess you have a point. To me however, that is a major issue in the story. While yes, Joshua had faith, god chose him as his servant just has he did Joshua but if we are to take the bible literally then killing people is never the answer but if it is a metaphor I get it. To me it is a story about having faith but if I sent people in to kill those who are my enemy then I might have a issue with that. Also in taking land from others too.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yeah well war is war and God says you men of war. I take that as Gods acceptance that war is inevitable among mankind, and so he already knew this was going to happen. For all we know maybe some people were saved or the war was lessened because of his involvement? So they take the story and try to make it a positive?

Answer by gemgem at 8:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think many people have problems with passages like this one because we want to see God only as God of love. He is also God of judgment, and that's a very important part of His character.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I read the Bible as metaphor for the most part.

I believe just about every war in history has both sides believing God is 'on their side'. Just leads to a lot of bloodshed IMO. Even during our own Civil War, each side thought God was their side. So, I think it's likely that someone is wrong about God being on their side. Or the conclusion I come to is that either God doesn't take sides (a Deistic perspective on God) and meddle with people's lives OR that God (or that 'feeling' or concept of God) is not actually a personal, anthropomorphic being at all (a Pantheistic view of God). There's a quote I like about knowing your God is man-made if he hates all the same people you do.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Pam, this is where I stand. I am not saying in anyway that I do not believe in God. I believe 100% but as I sat here this morning I realized that back then, things were pretty ugly during their time and their explanations may have been different from what ours is today. Do I think they were inspired by God to write? Absolutely. Do I believe 100% truth in the stories? Well, they may have happened indeed but not how God wanted them to. And this is true too..I was thinking about t his as well about how "your God is man-made if he hates all the same people you do". I don't believe God takes sides at all. Wrong is wrong, right is right. "Thou shall not kill" Killing is killing.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't believe God takes sides at all. Wrong is wrong, right is right.

--

Exactly! There are couple different views of God where people usually come to this same conclusion, even if their view of God slightly differs it's still a view that God does not take sides.

For my down voter, whoever you are...I never said you couldn't view God in a different way if you choose or interpret this differently. Just trying to share MY opinion on the subject.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Keep reading! Especially Leviticus. It might just make an atheist out of you!
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 9:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The 'acceptance" of war and killing convinced me that mere mortals, men,wrote the Bible. God doesn't approve of war and killing,does he? I hope not. And I won't just blindly and ignorantly accept everything written in the Bible because it can turn a peaceful person into a prejudiced war-monger....obviously.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Same here minn. Perhaps that is how they saw things back then you know? I am not one to judge anyone but at the same time God is telling ME to use my brain and what he has placed in my heart. Everyone has different views and understanding and I believe that understanding is what keeps our faith strong.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011