What is the best way to tell your boss that you are expecting but fully intend to coninue working until you can't anymore, and want to come back after the baby is born? I want to make sure my job will still be there for me.

I have a job in a small compnay, I'm still kinda new here and want to make sure I can keep my job. Anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Just tell them you are expecting a baby and plan to work until you cant anymore, and then will take your time off as the law states you can and will be back afterwards. By law I believe they have to hold onto your job for so many days.

Answer by gemgem at 8:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Then DONT say anything untill you are showing and everyone knows at work. Then ask for a meeting and sit down and tell them what you intend. Your entitles to maternity leave, and they HAVE to keep your job for you. They also cant fire you for being preggers. Best of luck to you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• vbruno, that might seem like shes intentionally hiding it, and make her bosses less likely to be accomidating. OP, the best thing is honesty. Tell your bosses exactly what you've just told us. Also, make sure you get your FMLA, that gives you the time off as required by law and they cannot fire you during that time. However, if you're honest with them from the start, that might make it easier for them to help you if there are complications in the future.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The FMLA has many restrictions. Employees must have worked at their company for more than 12 months. They also must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the previous year.

Smaller employers are not required to provide FMLA leave to their employees. If a company employs fewer than 50 people within 75 miles of the employee’s worksite, the employee does not qualify for FMLA leave. This regulation was enacted to accommodate employers -- small companies would find it more difficult to send a replacement far away if a needed employee were to take leave.

This is a federal law. BUt if your company doesn't employ 50+ or you haven't worked there for at least 1250 hours, you are not eligeable for it.
    I would have this conversation as soon as you can since they may need to have a fill in or you may need to find other employment after the baby comes. You will have time to plan.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It depends on what kind of work you do as well. I told my bosses that I was expecting as soon as a knew since I am a chemist. I know that some smaller companies do not have to offer FMLA, so that is also something to look into. You can always talk to Human Resources, if you're company has that, to find out about FMLA coverage.
    CRLmommy

Answer by CRLmommy at 10:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I work in an office of 5 other people- a VERY small business (all men too). I found out I was pregnant after only being here for 4 months. But I had built up enough rapport with everyone that I knew everyone was happy with my performance. I told everyone 3 days after I found out. (I had been out "sick" for a few days freaking out and not knowing what to do). So I had to tell them something. They were all very happy for me and excited. 2 months later we sat down and had a talk about my plans and how I intended to handle work.

They were open to anything. I assured them that I intend to work until the day of- that I was even ok with continuing to work for a bit while in labor to distract me. They laughed and said "No."

Be honest and open if you feel you can be. Otherwise wait until your 3rd or 4th month and say "this is how it is". Either way they legally cannot take away your position- no matter how small a company.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2011