homemade gravy....

I'm horrible at it. I've tried several times and its just nasty. Does anyone have a simple recipe? I got some jars of the premade stuff for Thanksgiving, but I'd really like to make my own. EASY recipes, PLEASE!

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 1:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I use a bunch of the meat drippings, put them in a frying pan and turn the heat to medium high. Mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cornstarch and 1 cup of COLD water till smooth. Add to hot meat drippings. Turn heat to medium, add a few shakes of salt & pepper If it becomes too thick, add more cold water water, a cup at a time to thin, until it is desired consistency. Ladle into a gravy boat, bring to table and serve.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• we use the jars of gravy after the turkey is done we dump the juices from the turkey into the gravy and then use the powedered gravy mixes to thicken it up
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I dont know how to make turkey gravy but I make the best white gravy there is. I will fry pork chops or chicken fried steak and then use about two or three tsps. of the grease that I cooked them in and ad a little bit of flour and then you have to stir that really quick and slowly ad milk. You dont know to get the grease and flour all clumpy befor adding the milk so add the milk very quickly after stirring in some flour. Good luck, you can always use this gravy on mashed potatoes.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I use some of the drippings from the turkey pan. I use the same pan. Add enough flour to make a rue. Add the some hot water the potatoes were cooked in. Bring to slow boil, continuous stirring, add some gravy master for color, salt and pepper to taste. Strain and serve
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 2:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• This is how I usually make gravy. It's fairly simple.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup pan juices
    * 1/4 cup plain flour
    * 1 1/2 cups water or beef stock or chicken stock
    * seasoning

Directions

1 Skim fat from pan juices. Place dish over heat, cook scraping base of dish for 1-2 minutes.
    2. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute.
    3 Remove from heat. Gradually blend in liquid.
    4 Return to heat. Cook stirring constantly until gravy boils and thickens.
    5. Simmer 3 minutes, blending in seasonings ( I usually just use salt & pepper).

I usually use either the beef or chicken stock, it adds more flavor to the gravy.

Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Here is what I do: take the neck from the turkey, and roast with a couple of wings and necks I got from the butcher (or grocery store), a quartered onion, carrots (cut into 3 pieces each) and celery (cut same size as carrots) at 400* for about an hour. Remove from the oven and put into a large pot. to the pan you roasted them in, add 2 cups of chicken or turkey stock and scrape all the good lil bits from the bottom. Pour this in with the wings, necks, and veggies, and more stock or water, to almost cover. Simmer while the turkey is roasting. When you're ready to finish the gravy, strain the stock and remove the meats and veggies.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• cont...

Add drippings from turkey, and simmer. Taste for seasoning. In a bowl, combine 4 tbsp of flour with 1/2 cup of water until smooth. Slowly add to simmering turkey stock, half at first, then a little more at a time until you get the thickness you want. Remember it takes 1 full minute to cook the flour taste out.
    jespeach

• oops, I forgot to say: this will give you plenty of gravy for a lot of guests, and leftovers. Using flour instead of cornstarch means you can reheat the gravy without it being gelatinous and goopy. If it seems too thick when reheating, add a little water or broth.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008