always sleepy?

so im 18wks pregnant and i know that makes you feel more sleepy but its like im always tired no matter how early i go to bed and how late i sleep in im tired so then i read to only get 4 to 6hours of sleep and go a routine of going to bed and waking up at the same time so i have been for several weeks now and it hasnt worked either im always sleepy. anyone know why and should i be taking maybe a extra vitamin of some sort? i know im pregnant but i wasnt like this with my son so i dont think it has much to do about that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Every pregnancy is different and depending on how long it's been since your last pregnancy you body is going through some major changes. Give it a few more weeks if by 20-21wks your still tired then you should talk to your ob.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 1:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You should be getting more like 7-8 hours of sleep a night. When I was pregnant I was always tired it didnt matter which pregnancy it was. I think it just comes with the territory. You may not seem busy but your body is busy making another human being which takes most of your energy and resources. I would suggest increasing your sleep time like I said above and adding a nap to you schedule. Thats how I handled it all 5 pregnancies.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Like has been said pregnancy does tend to make you tired a lot more but it can also occur if you diet it messed up, if you are not eating enough iron that can make you tired and a lot more sleepy i have gone through that when i was younger. Stacey.x

happytohelp

Answer by happytohelp at 2:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I am 20 wks and am the same way. I have found that the "healthier" I eat, the less tired I am! Hope that helps, and good luck!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Ask your doctor to do a Hemoglobin test (finger prick). If it's low, the doctor will recommend an iron supplement to you. I was almost 30 weeks when they happened to check mine, which was super low. They said, "Haven't you been tired?" Well of course I was, I was pregnant...but apparently I shouldn't have been THAT tired. The extra iron made me bounce back like *that* (snaps). Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Oh, and the iron thing? Half of all pregnant women (and 1/5 of women in general) have low iron, so it's not like you're doing anything wrong! You just might need some extra help, as that greedy little thief inside you is hogging it all! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2008