St Pat's Day Trap =)

Lets start with I am an entire day off here, I thought today was the 17 well of course it is not. So we did our St Pat's Day Lepperchaun Trap last night haha Good thing my daughter is only 3 & dosent know the date!

Basically you make a trap from whatever then leave it out for the night & see if the Leppercahun's come & laeve you anything. The friend that suggested it to me what she does is make a trap out of a shoe box. They decorate it with clovers, pots of gold, rainbows, etc on the box then prop it up over night & see if anything is under it in the morning.

We did it a bit differently though. We made a pot of gold to trick them (my daughter said she wanted to trick them not trap them haha). So I used a cleaned out food container (I save them for crafts) & we painted it black. After this we cut out some fake coins from paper & colored them putting them in the pot. We then colored a rainbow & put it atop of the pot.

She put her pot out over night & this morning ran over to see if they had fallen for her trick. Sure enough those little guys took her fake gold & left her some goodies. Nothing big there was a Lucky Day Carebear book, bracelet, ladybug squish ball (I told her ladybugs are good luck), a couple pieces of candy & a puppy dog toy (just a small figurine). For a three year old this was perfect!

Wanted to share with you ladies in case someone wanted to take the idea & do it with their small children. All the things I put in the pot were just cheap I dont think I spent $3 on it all haha Good ol' sale racks, I am one of those crazy women with a gift closet but it saves me a ton load of money =) Hope you ladies have fun whatever you do for St Pats!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Until yesterday I had never heard of doing this. The boys went on and on about this 'trap' and I was completely clueless. I guess I should figure something out. Thanks for your suggestions.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• wow never heard of it. growing up all we ever did was wear green. that is neat ill have to try it with my kids. maybe put out two traps for each kid. wow i just think that is a really cool idea.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• That's awesome!! I can't wait to do this with my kids. They are going to love this!!
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Our local preschool staff gets together the night before and "trashes" the school. They leave green baby foot prints...you know the kind you make with your hands? all over the school and when the children come it they even manage to leave laminated green footprints on some of the childrens backs lol. They blame the Lepprechaun on the mess and rev the kids up in hopes of finding him. It is great fun.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Glad you ladies find this helpful! I was so excited when I found out about the idea too. I wasnt sure what to do about the day with a small child so when my friend suggested it I knew it would become our new little tradition =) You can just about use anything to make either a pot or a trap too so its super easy! Hope your little ones have just as much fun as mine did about the whole thing!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• This is a really fun idea, I definitely plan to steal the idea . I bought some food coloring and was going to do something clever with this. I did the whole 24 days of christmas, a big valentines day and I hear I have some heavy competition with the Grandma Bunny so instead of a gift I might do something breakfast like. Tonight I think we might pour some milk for the leprechaun and then have the leprechaun magically turn it to shamrock milk with a tiny drop of mint extract and green food coloring. I might leave the leprechaun a blueberry muffin and have him replace it with a green pistachio one. This is why I just love to be a Mom.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2011