Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help from the Indiana mamas!

this is over child support/custody, i do not know the law in Indiana, we live in Wisconsin, and my 16 yr old has never lived in Indiana, well his sperm donor is mad because the State is going after him for Child support after 16 yrs, well he keeps telling me that everything goes by Indiana law and not Wisconsin because that is where he lives. I agrue that because my son is a resident of this state, anyway he says they will force him in Indiana to come see him even if its not what my son wants. In Wisconsin you can decide at 14 if you do not want anything to do with the father. My son wants nothing to do with him because of what he was in prison for and that he is always lying to him anyway and he will not have anything to do with him anymore. I need some help with the laws there.


Asked by jenn4443 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 23 (18,409 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Im an Indiana mama! I would think that you would go by wisconsin law, because thats where you live. I don't think it matters where the dad lives, so tell him nice try. You can go to and look up certain laws and such there... and bottom line, if the dad has a bad past, you mentioned prision, then I would think that the court would understand completely why your son chooses not to see him. Good luck!!

    Answer by katieandchris01 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • I live in Ohio and had a similar situation as far as what county/state laws we would abide by and as far as I know, it goes based off of where the CHILD lives, or where the child LIVED when the visitation/custody motion was filed. I would check with a lawyer to make sure, or you can call legal aid if you have one in your area and sometimes they will answer questions for free. Good luck!

    Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Your son is old enough to decide if he wants to see him or not. In most states at 12 y.o the judge will let the kids testify in court to not be forced to see a parent. Look up family lawyers in your state and fine some with free consultations and ask your questions for free dear.

    Answer by vbruno at 9:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Was the child born in Wisconsin? If so, Wisconsin law superseeds Indiana. Now, if child was born in Indiana and you moved after a visitation agreement, then Indiana would hold jursidiction.

    And regardless that the child is old enough to decided, the state can mandate that he have visits.

    I would contact an attorney or legal aid.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • my son was born in Nebraska

    Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

Next question in Teens (13-17)
16 year old son peeking

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Labor starting ?