What age should you start potty training?

What are some good first step to it? My son is 17 months and I try to get him to sit on the toilet but he will not sit still.

Elijahsmom24

Asked by Elijahsmom24 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well i potty trained my first when he was 2-3 and now my son Dylan has just turned 2 and we started around 1month ago.

Stacey.x
    happytohelp

Answer by happytohelp at 1:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Every kid has to start it at there own time pushing them before they are ready will only make them dislike the toilet. Some signs they are ready is them telling you when they are dirty, taking off thier own diaper or wanting to flush and play with the toilet.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 2:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• other signs are hiding from you while they're pooping in their diaper/pullup, telling you when they're wet and that they need a change, ect. my son is 20 months and we started when he was 16 months. i just bought a potty, had him play with it, and made a big deal that it was a big boy potty chair, and had him sit on it right away (it was SO cool!...lol) we're still working on it. he hasn't shown any of the signs yet, but i'm still sitting him on it. he'll sit on it at a good 30 minutes at a time cuz i'll sing songs with him while he's on the potty, read him a book, play pick-a-boo, ect. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• This is not age based. There is no "best age" to train.

Since your son will not sit there, I'd say he's not ready. You can hold him down and force him to stay there - but he won't relax enough to go and he'll hate the potty. My daughter was the same way for a long time. She didn't want to read books or sing songs - she wanted to run and play. Then one day she was willing to sit on it and we started actual training. Just try once a week or so until he is willing to stay put.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my oldest i've decided will never be potty trained she's 2! but with my baby girl whose 11 months as soon as she starts walking i'm going to show her the potty maybe it'll convince my oldest dd to go to the potty.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 4:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008