When I was growing up, our parties were centered around family and a few friends. Now that I have my own family, my brothers and sisters are not that way. I am trying to branch out and find friends but we just don't seem to fit in anywhere. How can I turn this around so that I don't depend on my brothers and sisters for my social life and constantly being upset about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• see if there is a group on CM for your area that do playdates. you can make friends that way. that's what i did when i moved away from home
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Well you will always rely on them no matter what. If you have school aged kids though you can get involved in PTA. If they arent school age then you can sign up for mommy and me classes or sign your child up for things at the YMCA. You can also hang out at the park and thats always a great way to meet new moms with kids in the same age range.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Everyone fits in somewhere.

Playdates, church, library groups, school - there are lots of places to meet people. But it takes time and patience and a willingness to open up your house and throw a party.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• coming from a very non-churchy person: the only friends i have where i live are people from church (i'm a unitarian universalist - if you are not a churchy person, this is the place to go!). think about your interests and your children's interests and find a way to make these things social.

start a book club? start a progressive neighborhood dinner? i suggest leading whatever endeavor you really want in your life if you are up to the task... i always end up being more social when it's up to me to keep it going...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I didnt read the whole question but I would suggest summarizing the title that is shown on the questions page. Me and my friends tend to answer those more. Just a tip. That thing was like the whole question!
    Anonymous