Codependent friends

My almost 4-year-old daughter and her BFF have become so dependent on each other that it is causing problems. They live near us, the girls go to pre-school together, are in gymnastics and play on the same soccer team. We also have playdates. They have become so clingy with each other that they will refuse to participate in activities if the other isn't there. This is a huge problem for me because we are usually the first ones to pre-school so every morning my DD starts crying and doesnt want me to leave until her friend gets there! How would you handle this? SUggestions MUCH appreciated!

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Try getting your dd interested in another activity that her friend is not in. Take her to reading time at the library or something like that. While it will pass, she needs to learn a little independence.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• idk my dd has a friend/cousin shes the same with. I just let it go because having also a 21 yr old dd I know it does pass.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• eventually it will pass, its a phase she is going thru.
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 10:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sounds like she might be a little insecure. Remind her that she's a big girl now. If she goes in first, maybe she can find something different to do today with her friend. Challenge her. Make her think. Ask her if there's a game or something that she's wanted to do, but someone else got it first. If she's in there first, she can claim it for her and her friend. And, I agree with the others, this, too shall pas.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thanks so much for the suggestions kimimale!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree -- thank you krissy!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011