WA looking to pass bill that would allow payment to surrogates...

Thoughts? I honestly don't see a problem with it. It's a job, to carry and deliver a child.. I honestly couldn't do it but toeach their own. These woman are doing a great thing!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm stealing this from a comedian (ok many comedians because it's been recycled), but it's still a valid question - why is it legal to rent out the womb but not the vagina? Paying someone for the temporary use of their body parts doesn't change just because of which part you wish to use. Not suggesting it should be illegal, but that it should strengthen the case for legalized prostitution if it does pass - and those morally opposed to prostitution should keep that in mind when forming their opinion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• IDK..I know it helps lots of families..I had a dear friend who's SIL carried her child...I am still not really comfortable with it..on a personal level. I have nothing against it though. I think this may be ok, but it is going to have to be done very very carefully.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Absolutely! Those women provide a service and should be paid.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It'd be alright if they put some REALLY STRICT rules and safeguards in place. Otherwise it could turn into a thing where women are offering themselves as surrogates and popping out as many babies as possible for as many couples as possible just for the money. Wouldn't neccessarily be a good thing for this to become a job for some women. It does kinda make me think of baby selling.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My pregnancy was so horrible i can't imagine why someone would do it without getting paid.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I see no problem with it. They are allowed to pay for all medial costs as it is. They often buy things for mom and baby anyway. I suppose a limit is good so people don't take advantage but I'm ok with it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'll be in the minority apparently but I do have a problem with this. I feel for those who cannot have children, some I'm related to. I've seen how painful it can be. But I don't see why the government would pay women to do this, especially with the fact that this country is in not the best shape right now, and I find the notion that "it's a job" to be offensive. It's carrying a child. The thought of anyone doing that for money makes me a little ill. I'm sure it happens enough as it is. It's one thing for the couple to pay medical expenses but beyond that, it seems ugly.

As for pregnancy being so hard women should be paid to go through it, really? Wow. My pregnancies were both very hard for different reasons and my first labor turned into an emergency. That said though, I would not ever say a woman should be paid to deliver her own child or someone else's.
    Anonymous

• They are helping some folks and should get paid for their service
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 5:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2011