Cruise vs. All Inclusive Resort Vacations. Looking for opinions and suggestions.

I'm a single mom of 2 boys, ages 12 and 10. My boys either want to go on a family cruise or go to a tropical resort. I have done a little comparison research, but I'd love to hear from any of you that have done either or both.

I live in PA so I've looked at cruises leaving from New York going to Bermuda.
I have also looked at Beaches and Breezes. Breezes was much cheaper but Beaches looked like it had a resort with more water park fun.

Thanks ladies!

luvmypolywogs

Asked by luvmypolywogs at 10:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Travel

• JMPO..but i'd rather not be on a cruise ship for vacation. its more confining, except in ports, in which you only have so much time to wander around and do touristy things.
    being at a beach resort will allow freedom to do whatever, depending on what the area has to offer, with no worries of getting back to the ship on time.
    have fun..oh, and can i tag along??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• all inclusive is better. Free drinks and they are not supposed to take tips when serving. You do not need to worry to much about casah. I highly reccomend the resort over a cruise.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you have never been on a cruise, then go! It's hard to explain, but we have so much fun on the ship that we have actually skipped some of the port days. With that said, Bermuda is a wonderful place to go. I've been there both by cruise and by plane and staying at a resort. If you go by cruise, you will enjoy your trip there and back as well as Bermuda itself. We had plenty of time in port in Bermuda to see and do everything that we wanted to do. I had so much fun on the ship itself, that I'll probably continue with cruising there versus flying.

The positive of flying is that you will be in Bermuda over the course of several days (versus several days at sea). So you will have more time to rent scooters (a big thing in that area), go to the beach, golf, etc. So....... if you've never been there, then you might like actually spending time in the area. If I was flying there, I wouldn't do all exclusive though.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Hmm- depending on the cruise line, they can be a lot of fun for boys that age. You do have to remember that there will be times that you are stuck on the ship... but, in all- we enjoy them because it really takes a lot of the structure and planning out of it and it keeps you busy. Resorts, I find, are more relaxing... just hanging out by the pool. We see so much more when we venture by cruise.

So- as the mom... would you rather play it by ear and be responsible for doing your own things? Or- just go with the cruise flow and go with what they offer? You are going to get great food wherever you go... but cruises typically have night shows too. They will have everything the resort will have and then some, actually.

I've talked myself into the need of a vacation- I think. ;-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• ..... Part of experiencing a new place is also experiencing local dining. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Bermuda.

On a cruise, we eat all of the meals when we are on the ship. If we get off the ship at a port, then we eat at the local restaurants while in port.

For Bermuda, have fish chowder at least once. It's a speciality there. It's really delicious even if you are not a big fan of fish.

Also, take the time to visit www.cruisecritic.com It's a great site with reviews of every cruise ship and their activities for all of the different age levels.

Almost forgot....... another favorite thing for us to do on the ships is getting our picture taken. It's hard to find time for everyone to get together at home for family portraits, but it's offered on the ship almost everyday.

Have fun!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• We went on an all inclusive trip through Sandals to the Bahamas. We flew and when we got to the resort, we paid for absolutely nothing. The only stuff we paid for was what we bought in town. We definitely saved a ton of money. We are taking the kids to Jamaica through Beaches.
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• All inclusive HANDS DOWN
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• All inclusive! At least then all the activities are paid up front and all the food they want. Most resorts will have child activities unless you book an adults only resort.

We are going to Aventrua in Mexico in June. They have 2...one is adult only and the other is family oriented and they cater to families. For SO and I it's only $3100 including flight.

Another thing... applevacations and cheapcarribbean will normally have last minute deals where you book to leave in 6 weeks for cheap. We could go to the Dominican Republic for $690 each and that includes flight, all drinks, all food, and many activities with $1500 in spa credit to use when you get there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well for Security and Fun I would take them on a Cruise first they can't get lost on the ship second there are activities for all kids under 21 years of age. I Cruise all the time and take my son and Niece's and leave them to themselves and they have a ball eating all the food you want its free and even room service is free.
    They have small arcades and activities and teen dance clubs that serve snacks and soda and if they dont have a sail and sigh card they cant' order from bar or gift shop. It's safe and fun my son love it.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011