How long should it take to run a 5k?

I mean for the average Joe , not a real runner ...

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Thirty to thirty-six minutes. That's anywhere from a 10-12/minute mile. Not crazy fast, but not slow either. Most 'average' runners run about a 10 minute mile. A twelve minute mile is a slog(slow jog) or a power walk(if both feet don't leave the ground at some point in your stride).
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• In the terms of time. As long as it takes for you. Finishing is the goal.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I did my first in February. My goal was under 40 minutes, based on how I was running at the time (I was running just over a 13 minute mile). I did it in 39:47. Don't pressure yourself too much for a time for your first 5K, just enjoy it! It's AWESOME! Feed off of the energy of the group, and get excited! Push yourself to pass this person then this person then that person, and so forth. Don't overdo it, and just enjoy the race! I've been running more for endurance than speed (will add speedwork later). I'm planning to run a half-marathon in August, so I'm more focused on being able to run 13.1 miles period than running 3.1 miles fast. Getting there!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I ran my first in 28 minutes and my 2nd in 23:55 which is an average of 7:30 per mile and not something your average person would do. The 28 minutes was around 9 minutes per mile and a little more likely, but most people just starting would push 10-12 minutes per mile I would think and finish in around 35 minutes.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• 25 minutes or so.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sorry, didn't mean to hit Post so fast.
    25 minutes would be average for someone who is in reasonable shape, but not a competitive runner. For someone who is not at all in shape, it would likely take longer, as they probably wouldn't be able to run the whole thing (it's just over 3 miles).
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm doing my first in about 4 weeks, I hope to complete it in about 35 minutes
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• no clue, my boobs kill me after 1 mile!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If it's your first time running it, I think giving yourself 45 minutes would be a good time.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It depends on your fitness level. I believe my first was 46 minutes, my last was 32.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 2:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2011