If you have a home birth in SC does pregnancy medicaid cover it?

I am thinking of moving to South Carolina & was wondering if the medicaid for pregnant women covers home birth? (i know it covers birth centers but does it cover home birth midwives totally?)

Also if you have insurance & live in SC and use an SC certified care provider does insurance cover the WHOLE cost? Any info at all on this would be helpful! thanks

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am from nc and my baby was born in sc..when I had medicaid it would have covered the midwife if thats what I wanted..im not sure about the home birth..the best way for you to get an accurate answer would be call your local medicaid office and just ask..most of the time they are willing to give out that info..and about your insurance covering with a sc provider that also depends on what your percentage is you are responsible for with your company..good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• if you have NC medicaid it doesnt cover home birth or birth centers in sc, or home birth in nc. it only covers hospitals and the one birth center in NC.

this is assuming i move and have sc medicaid would sc medicaid cover an sc home birth midwife. i have seen on some of their sites that they take it but idk if it covers it 100% or what
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• From yahoo answers:

Medicaid will cover home birth services in Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, New Hampshire, New Mexico, South Carolina, Vermont, and Washington State with a CPM, Certified Professional Midwife.
    Source(s):
    The Midwives Alliance of North America
    http://mana.org/statechart.html

Answer by gemgem at 10:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, it does cover in SC, but you have to have a certified professional midwife.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• that is so great to know!!!!! i wonder why it doesnt cover lm's, only cpms? hmm. do you know if it 100% pays for it (prenatals, birth, pp?)
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I just want to say- good for you for wanting a home birth! I am on medicaid and desperately want a home birth but they are illegal in Illinois unless attended by an OB (OB's don't do homebirths here) or a CNM (few of which accept medicaid in Illinois).

I also want to tell you to thoroughly check the background and references for any CPM you have. They can be wonderful and even better than CNMs but they aren't regulated. Nearly anyone can apply for a CPM. My doula is applying for a CPM but she is apprenticing from someone over the internet. Just be careful! And congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful birth experience!!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• thank :) also want to encourage you to hunt for "underground" midwives(cpm) there are usually many if you start looking/asking the home birth community and most are certified in general but not in the state due to the laws-thats how it is in nc
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011