Easy but most effective way to teach your child to read

I'm getting my daughter ready to learn how to read, I would like to know if anyone has any tips or advice on how the process could be fun for her and at the same time not crazy for me! I'll accept any advice anyone has,Thanks

Princesaof1

Asked by Princesaof1 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You read to them everynight.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I am anxious for these tips as well! My almost-4-year-old seems perfectly content for me to continue reading to her -- she's just not very interested yet.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I do read to her every night
    Princesaof1

Comment by Princesaof1 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @ BaileysMom476, I know same here I can't wait for my four year old to learn how to read..I read to her every night but thats obviously different then teaching her!
    Princesaof1

Comment by Princesaof1 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Actually, reading regularly is NOT different than teaching her. Reading to her regularly is the single most important step in teaching her to read on her own.

Keep in mind that reading requires that specific developmental milestones be met first. Many children are simply not READY to master that skill until they are 5 or 6 years old. Some get it younger, certainly, but it's *not* the norm nor does it predict long term success. I had two early readers - and by early I mean DS was 2 1/2 and DD was 3yr old. We did *nothing* other than play games that used letter sounds (and not games we bought - we played online games and made up games) and we read, read, read and read some more. It clicked for them both when they were ready for it to do so. Same with their peers. DD is in 1st grade many of her peers are JUST starting to read and for all of them, it simply clicked when they were ready for it.

Exposure & readiness are key!!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• read to them everyday and point to different words or things in the books and have them sound them out; get them age related books and start reading with them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Reading together is sufficient.
    Starting to teach letters in Grade 1 is fine, no reason to push academics.
    Comprehension through life experience is a wonderful gift.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2011