Boiling potatoes...

I have never boiled potatoes before and I was just wondering what you think would be best. The recipe calls for boiled, cooled, peeled, coarsely chopped. Should I peel and chop before I boil? Or should I just clean the potatoes, boil, then peel and chop like the recipe says? Also, do I bring the water to boil, then put the potatoes in or do I do like eggs and put the potatoes in the water and bring up to a boil? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• When I boil potatoes I wash them, peel them and then chop them. Start them in cold water and let them come to a boil with the water, otherwise your potatoes don't get cooked in the center.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Clean and boil with a 1/2 tsp salt in water to cover potatoes. Peel while warm and then chop. Put the potatoes in the water before boiling the water.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would just toss them in and boil them...no you do not have to boil the water first. Just put them in water and let it go. Then strain, cool, peel and chop...Sounds like you are making potato salad?
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You need to peel and chop before you boil. I keep my potatoes in the water while it begins to boil.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, my husband has a thing for work tomorrow and he found a Irish Egg and Potato Salad he wants to take. Never have had potato salad before, so hopefully I don't completely ruin it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If the potatoes are for a salad leave them whole. Chopping them before hand allows them to absorb excess water. When that happens the texture becomes grainy. Wash them, put in cold water, boil until fork tender, cool, peel and chop.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i always peel and chop beforehand. then put them in a pot of cold water with a pinch of salt and allow the water to boil. when you can easily stick a fork into them, they're done.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You want to follow the recipe. The potatoes will cook a lot faster if you clean, peel, and chop the first. Place them in cold water and let the water come to a boil. I cannot tell you about how many minutes it will take because I don't time mine, I just test the with a fork. When you can stick the fork through them and they are soft, they are done :) hope this helps!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Oh yes and add a pinch of salt to them for flavor.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Follow the recipe. Wash them, cover with cold water, put them on medium high heat, then when they start boiling, cut the heat down to medium or medium low, so they are simmering, but water isn't splashing everywhere. Cook about 20 minutes, or more depoending on the size of the potatoes. When a fork will go in easily, but firmly, take them off, drain water, and let cool till you can handle them, then the peels should slip off with your hands, with just a little help from a knife. Cut them up and add the dressing before they completely cool. That way the flavors go into the potato. Any more cooking questions, message me.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011