Easy but most effective way to teach your child to read

I'm getting my daughter ready to learn how to read, I would like to know if anyone has any tips or advice on how the process could be fun for her and at the same time not crazy for me! I'll accept any advice anyone has,Thanks

Princesaof1

Asked by Princesaof1 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Use easy to read books, alot of reading starts with sight words, sounds.

then use a wipe board or a chalk board and have them write it, first you write it and have them copy. Use flash cards, but be sure they know there sounds.
    You can find the sight words on line for the age level. In k there are like 200 they need to know before 1st grade.

Good luck it is amazing, take them to the local library and let there imaginations run wild.... Read too them...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Honestly the easiest way to help a child learn to read is to read together often. The more a child is exposed to books, the easier it is for them to take the next step. When you read to her, run your finger under the words as you go to help tie what you say to what is written.

Does she know her letters? If not, you start there. Games centered around letter recognition. There is no need for flashcards and worksheets. Young kids learn best by experience not drills. Does she know letter sounds? If not, play games that incorporate letter sounds. There are several free games online. You can play things like I Spy using letter sounds as clues. Use flashcards you buy or make to create Sight Word Bingo. You can start by being caller. Pull a card, read it, and then show it to her so she can find it on her BINGO board.

Above all else, just follow her lead and have FUN!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thanks so much KFree907
    Princesaof1

Comment by Princesaof1 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• reading to them is the easiest and most effective way, starting from infancy. once they get older they'll start asking questions and then you pause, listen to the question and answer accordingly. my oldest is 4 and recognizes a lot of sight words already. she has a great interest in books!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I never spent any time trying to teach my kids to read. That was what school was for. I read to them alot when they were babies, and when they were potty training, and in the bathtub. I got leapfrog learning systems for them for long car rides. Other than that, I just waited till they went to school. I can't say that moms who pushed early reading had kids that rose above the ranks any faster than the kids in school who were smart to begin with and couldn't read earlier.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• We bought Hooked on Phonics for Kiddo. Loaded it on a laptop and gave her the laptop. It was both easy and effective.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• jewjewbee, I wouldn't assume every early reader came from a mom that pushed it. Reading is something that kids master when they're ready - some are ready sooner than others. BUT, you're absolutely right. Reading early is *not* indicative of future academic success. In fact, pushing reading before a child is ready can backfire by creating a child that dislikes reading and views it as a chore. The best bet is to provide the tools and let the child dictate the pace.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The best bet is to provide the tools and let the child dictate the pace.

++++
    I agree. That's why when she wanted to learn to read we simply gave her the tools. She took it from there. If she hadn't done it on her own, she still wouldn't be reading. (She is newly 4.) There is nothing wrong with learning to read in school if your child wants to wait or is willing to wait. Ours wasn't willing to wait.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sorry ,but mine start pre-K at 4 in the army school district, and start then,I just help them along!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011