Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


does anyone know of any programs that will pay or help pay to have my son circumcised. he is 6 months old and i dont want to keep waiting, but i dont have $375 to pay upfront. can somebody help me out here?

Answer Question

Asked by K_Cutee at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 4 (36 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • You can call the health department and see if they do it or have any programs. Also call around. My dds ob/gyn did her sons and we didnt even know they did.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • I would only have it done by a doctor.  Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to someone, possibly a pediatric surgeon at his age.  Not sure.  I'm guessing you don't have insurance?  That sucks, sorry.  Maybe the local health department can help?  Or you can make payments on that $375?  Just keep trying different doctor offices, maybe one will take payments.  Goodluck!!


    Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • state insurance won't pay for it... the only way is to pay out of pocket. Just do your research.... It's considered cosmetic so you are going to have to pay out of pocket

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Oh yeah, my OB did my sons circ in the hospital a day or two after he was born.  Many OB's do.  I'm not sure about at 6 months though, probably not.  But maybe your OB can refer you to someone?  Also, when I was a pediatric nurse, one of our docs did them in the office.  All you can do is call around I guess.


    Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Why not just keep him intact? It's not medically necessary.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • There are several people that choose not to do it. If you want it done, you have to pay for it.

    Answer by sherribeare at 11:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Are you sure it doesn't cost a LOT more than that now? At 6 months old that can't just do it in clinic anymore, they'll have to put him under general anesthesia. I don't think any group of any kind will help you pay for cosmetic surgery. Best to just leave his penis alone and let him make his own choices about his body when he's older.

    Answer by AmiJanell at 11:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • I have never heard of an assistance program specifically for circumcision. Personally, I chose to keep my son intact, and have never encountered any problems.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Why are just now wanting to do this? There is medical reason to do it just for the sake of having it done. I believe at this age it maybe very tramtic for your son. Instaed why don't you try educationing your self on how to care for an intact baby?

    Answer by Graciesmom528 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • call around i got my sons done for 200 at the obgyns office

    Answer by Sage11 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.