Have you used a Halti or a Snoot Loop on your pet?

My Labrador, despite all my commands I learned at dog obedience, is still yanking my arm out of its socket during our walks. I was wondering if anyone has used either a Halti or a Snoot Loop and if they are worth it. I currently have him in a regular harness that goes under the belly and over the neck. Not effective at all.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• "I currently have him in a regular harness that goes under the belly and over the neck. Not effective at all."
    Exactly the problem. Harnesses are made for pulling. The chest is the strongest part of a dog and by putting him in a harness, your setting yourself up to be dragged across town. The gentle leader works great because it takes control of the head. The dog can't pull without it's head turning. A correction collar set high on the most sensitive part of their neck also works but it still takes practice. The gentle leader is instant. Whatever you do, ditch the harness unless you have them pulling something. I generally only support harnesses for small dogs because it prevents them from escaping like they may in a collar and they can't really drag anyone.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I use a Gentle leader head ahlter on my dogs. I do not trust the halti because if they manage to get the nose peice off the whole thing comes off but with the G. Leader if they do get the nose peice off it is still secure around their neck. Most harness actually encourage dogs to pull. I think the Gentle leader is a great tool to use to teach them how to walk nicely on the leash.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes the Halti is very effective...the one around the snout does not hurt them, it gently leads them in the right direction. You can get a lead that goes with the Halti also that makes it easier to walk the dog. I have a german shepherd, golden retriever mix, and she did that to us the first couple of times we walked her, and we decided to try the Halti, and were very impressed with the results.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Halti works, esp. for big dogs.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I actually prefer the gentle leader over the halti. I have had dogs wiggle out of the halti, but not out of the gentle leader. I have had a lot of dogs in gentle leaders to test that out.

That said, some people take the opposite stance. There is a gentle leader easy walk harness that a lot of people like, it is basically a loop that goes around the chest area. I think it is also effective, but I don't believe the dog really learns much from it, it is more management for a pulling dog than anything.

Here is my tip- I teach my dogs to walk backwards in heel. Every time they try to forge ahead, they have to take 4-5 steps backwards with my leg, in heel position. That gets really old fast, and basically, they decide pulling ahead just isn't worth it after awhile. : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011