My 16 month old has a red swollen outer ear?

He has been under the weather the last couple of days but I think it's allergies. This morning he woke up with a swollen red ear and he keeps hitting it. I wonder if it's a bug bite or an infection? Should I bother going to the Dr or wait it out?

amberharrison09

Asked by amberharrison09 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• does it have a bump anywhere on it? is he in pain? has he been messing with it before now? you could always call his pedi and ask but if he is in pain, take him in..if it is still red and swollen after a couple hrs take him in.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Ear infection. Take him in and have the doctor put him on antibiotics.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you both. My only problem with the Dr is that he is pretty much "all natural" so he doesn't like to put kids on antibiotics. So I've been putting garlic oil in his ear , which has helped in the past but I've never seen his ear this red. He does keep rubbing it and he has been falling down alot....I just don't want to waste $$$ on the visit of him telling me to do exactly what I'm already doing.
    amberharrison09

Comment by amberharrison09 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• TAKE YOU KID TO THE DOCTOR.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011