How do i get my 3 yr old to stop eating out of the trash?

we will throw away food from fastfood restraunts or things that cant go down the garbage disposal. and i turn around to catch her digging in the trash. she gets snacks and good meals, so i know she is not hungry. i just dont know what to do... if we get a "lock" for the trash, she will just figure it out. she has figured out all the other child-proof locks. i have told her she cant eat out of the trash bc it will make her sick. i have set her in time out. i am at my wits end! plz help

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 11:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• get a lid and a lock with a key or a padlock if your worried that she will figure out the saftey lock. i do recomend a spanking if you are comfortable with it and have tried everything else. if your have never spanked her before it should only take one light smack on the butt, but you have to do it as soon as you see her do it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would spank her little butt. There might be broken glass, sharp things. I only spanked for things that could harm them or someone else. Let them know I meant business. They learned real quick.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Make the trash inaccessible to her. Raise it up, move it, etc.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Make sure she can't get to the trash.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• keep it outside only..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• my 1 yo does this all the time, drives me insane!!! i don't have any advice besides to put a gate infront of the kitchen so she can't enter, that's what i had to do so my lo cant get in the trash and my 3yo will stop opening the fridge and pulling food out
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• in our small appt, there isnt anywhere we can really put it, other than where it is. a trashcan wont fit under the sink, we have no space in the washer/dryer room. we dont have a linen closet or coat closet. any suggestions where else might possibly work.
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• ugh, living in this appt stinks bc the way the kitchen is set up we cant put up a gate. we are not allowed to leave the trash outside. we can get fined for it by the appt complex.
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It will be inconvenient but you may need to consider putting it in the bathroom. A gate was a suggestion I read that would work too.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• we put our can ehind the table, and she would have to climb on the table to get to it, so.... thats what we do
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2011