Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I'm 16, and I'm pregnant can I get child support ?

I'm 16 and pregnant and my boyfriend lives 4 hours away From me. He's not gonna be able to live with me but we at still together. Can I file for child support? And become child support?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (14)
  • If you are together still, then why do you want to file. Is he helping out?

    Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • You can file when the baby is born. If you are not married he is obligated to pay. However, if he is 16 himself and in high school a judge may order very little child support, if any. My friends son was ordered child support, it was suspended until he was either in college to be based on whatever income he had then, or if he had a job and was not in college.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • become child support? you can file for child support after the baby is born, of course. As long as paternity is established.

    Answer by knicole0708 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • bump


    Answer by sherribeare at 11:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • It depends on your state. I know here the father isn't legally obligated to pay child support until he turns 18. If you're still together, he should be sending you money of his own volition. If you just file and get a court order without talking to him, he may feel hurt or think you assume he's going to leave. Talk to him first. If he refuses to help by sending money or he all of a sudden stops talking to/seeing you and the baby, then I would file for child support.

    Answer by MamaStuart at 11:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • You should absolutely file for child support once the baby is born! You are very young and sometimes being so young, things can happen with relationships. Your baby deserves to be supported by both parents, and if you and your BF break-up at least you know your child is taken care of. You are responsible to protect that baby now and forever, talk to your BF and explain that it's better this way for the baby and if he doesn't understand then thats just too bad.

    Answer by alyssamom7808 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • actually age doesn't matter as long as he has a job. My dad was 15 when I was born and my mom went after him for child suport he had all this child suport he was supose to pay and didn't then my mom went back to court they told my bio dad that he either can pay the back child suport or he can give up his rights so he just decided to give up his rights he was 15-16 years old at the time. But if your bf lives with you I don't know why you would want to go after him for child suport unless he isn't helping you and therefore I would leave him.

    Answer by mommy5409 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • things have changed though since you were born.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Child support is for the baby,not u. If he does not have a job then u won't get anything,unless,the parents r made to pay.

    Answer by dancer at 2:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • mommy5409: things have changed since then and a parent can NOT just give up rights because he doesn't want to pay support, it no longer works that way. Also, if you read the entire post, you would see that the BF lives 4 hours away but they are still bf/gf.

    OP: Once the baby is here, contact your county child support agency and see what you need to do to file. You should definatley file for child support, he is responsible for the baby too.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Babies (0-12 months)

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Whats for lunch ?