How do I start Potty Training My 3 Year-Old?

My daughter just turned 3 and she was doing good with training, and was excited about it. Then, all of a sudden, she didn't want to stop playing to use the potty and actually asked for her diapers back. I don't want to pressure her, but I want her to be able to start Pre-K in September and need her to be potty trained. I also have a 5 year old daughter who just woke up one day and stated she didn't want diapers anymore and that was that! She was almost 4! I don't want this to happen with my youngest. Any suggestions would help me tremendously! I am not a good potty trainer...HELP!

alyssamom7808

Asked by alyssamom7808 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give her a choice. At this age she needs to learn. Every half hour or so, tell her she needs to sit on the potty and try to go. Remove her from whatever she's doing if she doesn't go on her own. At the same time, reward her when she goes on her own however you see fit. Tell her that it's an important part of becoming a big girl and that if she's not potty trained, she can't go to preschool. Let her know how much fun it will be and that she'll be playing with other kids and doing crafts. basically, play up preschool to the point that she really wants to go. That should be inspiration to start using the potty regularly.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• have you gotten her her own little potty? maybe a potty chart (print them online) some stickers for it, an some candy.. thats what i am doing with my 2 year old.. working good... except his own little potty he hates it now.. i had my other 2 potty trained at 2 years old with the same things! also if they get so many stickers i would go to the dollar store or some place an let them pick out a toy.. let them pick out their own undies ... dont use pullups!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well I just took the diapers off and put underware on, period...if my kids wanted diapers on I would just remind them that they are NOT babies.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @3HappylKidds Why should you not use pullups?
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2011