If I pig out on fruit and veggies all day will I still gain weight?

I am starving 24/7 but I figure if I snack on fresh fruit and veggies I will fill up and not fill OUT. Is this a decent theory? Or will too many fruits and veggies still plump me up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No. They will not. Your body will self regulate after about a month of eating this way- you will actually be less hungry if you only eat whole foods. Snack foods, processed foods, etc. are so easily digested empty calories that your body is left craving more just to get the basic nutrients it needs, once those needs are being constantly met you will stop being hungry 24/7.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you are "starving:" the rest of the time. That's why you are gaining weight. Also if you are not exercising regularly that will also contribute to you gaining and not losing.

If you are not eating a healthy, well balanced diet of 3 meals a day ( or 5-6 small meals a day depending on your body type/metabolism) then you are in essence starving your body. So instead of burning the calories that you eat, as fuel the way your body is supposed to. Your body is actually storing those calories up to keep functioning during the times you aren't eating. That would be one reason why you are gaining weight. Also, one has to exercise enough to burn those calories as fuel in order to lose weight, if you aren't exercising enough to do that then you will either gain or maintain the weight you are at.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, they will.Fruit is sugar (fructose); fine in moderation but not to pig out on.ALL forms of sugar (starches too since they turn to sugar) mess with your insulin (unless you combine it with protein and healthy fats to slow down the process) which is what causes weight gain/hunger for most individuals. Few doctors will tell you this because they don't know (nutrition is not required as part of medical school) but there is plenty of science out there that supports this. I was under doctor's care to try to lose weight-followed the regimen to a T (the damn food pyramid-was actually designed to help farming industry), never cheated, exercised 5 times a week and gained weight! I stopped listening to him, researched to find out exactly how the human body worked as far as insulin (no, I'm not diabetic or anything like that), cut out sugar/starches, lost 75 lbs. without trying, blood work was perfect, and I feel better than ever.
    Anonymous

• If you eat more calories than you burn, you'll still gain weight. Overeating on healthy foods can still result in weight gain.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Depends on what fruit and veggies you are eating. Apples very high in sugar.... is an empty carb.... not good for you. Avocados are high in fat.
    You need to find the right mix for you. Eat more whole grains. Get higher fiber (but drink lots more) and that will help you to feel "full"
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• DON'T STARVE YOURSELF!!! In doing so, you're SLOWING your metabolism, which means you'll GAIN weight in the end!!!

Fruits are NOT empty carbs- the have soluble and insoluble fiber in addition to many vitamins and trace minerals your body needs, and they're quite filling.  But eating too much of anything will make you gain weight.

Have you ever heard of eating clean?  I've lost 54 lbs so far eating clean and exercising.  Here's my journal with eating clean basics.  It's all about small, frequent meals, whole foods, balance, and eliminating processed foods.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think regardless of what you eat, its still calories in and calories out?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think the key is burning more calories then you are taking in, and making the calories you take in count.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You can but eating fruit in veggies throughout the day is a good option. I find that I am more full when I am eating veggies so I don't need to over eat.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you pig out on them, then yes. They may be good for you, but they break down into sugars and sugars break down into fat. If you eat them in healthy servings, you'll be fine. The neat thing about veggies is that you end up burning more calories digesting them than there are in the veggie itself. Example.. let's say there are 45 calories in a carrot stick. You'll burn more than 45 calories digesting that carrot.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2011