Pissed off at kindergarten teacher!

I'm very annoyed at my sons kindergarten teacher. In April, their is a class field trip and a month ago I wrote a note saying I would like to chaperone. The teacher.responded great, I will keep that in mind. Now yesterday, I received note saying sorry, the list was made, cannot go. But I was the first one to suggest I could go, Wtf! I feel they did favorism. I wrote back saying I already took day off from work, plus I asked way ahead. What do you think?

hazeleyezmommy

Asked by hazeleyezmommy at 12:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would be aggravated as well -- plus I cant imagine WHY you cant go?? Offer to drive yourself? I would talk to the teacher about it and firmly but gently insist you plan on going. I cant imagine why THAT would be a problem? Is there any such thing as TOO MANY CHAPERONES?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It would really depend on how far away the field trip was. I might just go on my own and meet the bus there.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My sons school has trips that ALL parents can go on. If their is a limit on parents then they dont allow any parents to go...just teachers.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Gotta luv control freaks hu?! I would tell the teacher you are going. If she still says no I would demand a reason. Good luck
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would just tell the teacher you would still like to go just to be with your child and take pictures of your kid on their trip.

If she still says no, I wouldn't send my child. If for some reason they wouldn't allow me to attend them my child probably shouldn't attend either.

Where is the trip to?
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 12:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The trip is to Crayola Factory, 45 min away...I cant wait to see what she wrote back
    hazeleyezmommy

Comment by hazeleyezmommy (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• There actually is a thing called "too many chaperones". Most places let in one chaperone per 5 children for free, and if there are more than that they have to pay separate admission. A lot of times, teachers have to front the cost and never get paid back by the parents. As a former tour guide myself, I can tell you that when parents are chaperoning their own children, the children behave worst and don't pay attention to the tour guide, since Mommy is talking to them and distracting them from the learning experience. What probably would have happened if you had gone was that you would be mad the teacher assigned you five strange kids while yours went off with somebody else. This is another thing the teachers don't like to tell the parents because it would mean none of them would want to chaperone at all. Field trips are supposed to be a learning experience for children, not an outing for their parents.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• There may be a limit as to how many adults can go set by the factory or they may be limiting the number allowed on the bus. In any case, ask if you can drive yourself and pay your own way into the factory, that might change things. Also, it could be out of the teacher's hands. When I worked for a private school I set up a field trip, worked to get arrangements made and planned on going with the group that I normally worked with. The principal assigned me to be a substitute teacher for another class that day so their teacher could go - because if she drove the principal would not have to (we didn't use buses, we drove them and had parent volunteers). It was a bunch of BS, especially since there were plenty of empty seats with all of the parents that went, but when the principal makes a stupid decision sometimes you just have to go with it. Good luck (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• How do you know you were the first to reply? Is there a class mom? Is there a list of parents that volunteered at the start of the year to escort trips? Are there children in class with special needs? For example, my DD has severe allergies that are managed without issue day-to-day, however, because it requires transport of her emergency meds (should they be needed) and eating outside the normal, controlled scope of the cafeteria, I am required by the district to attend (or send a proxy - ie my mom) to any off-site event my child attends.

In other words, there could be a lot of *other* factors than the teacher decided to screw you out of a slot on the trip.

There *is* such a thing as too many chaperons. There is also such a thing as creating a negative relationship with someone you need on your side - is this worth it?
    Anonymous

• For the comment about not being an outing for parents, what is wrong with you, lol if you read my thread, I'm annoyed b/c teacher said yea sure, then oh never mind(like she never said it was ok)
    hazeleyezmommy

Comment by hazeleyezmommy (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011